TERRAPIN TEAM TITLES
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS
|TERRAPIN CLUB "STAIRWAY OF CHAMPIONS"
The Stairway of Champions consists of 12 banners featuring eight of Maryland's national championship teams. The stairway is located on the grand staircase on the south side of the Comcast Center. The banners honor Maryland teams that have won national titles:
- Maryland's tradition of winning national championships began with football. Under the guidance of head coach Jim Tatum, the Terrapins won their first national championship in 1953 in a record of 10-1.
- Head coach Gary Williams' men's basketball team captured the 2002 NCAA title by defeating Indiana 64-52. The Terps finished the season with a 32-4 record, the best winning percentage in school history (.889).
- Under head coach Brenda Frese and a talented group of young players, the Maryland women's basketball team won the 2006 NCAA championship by defeating Duke in thrilling overtime battle 78-75 and finished the year ranked number one in the nation for the first time in the program's history.
- Head Coach Sasho Cirovski has led the men's soccer team to two NCAA national titles in four years. The Terps defeated New Mexico in the 2005 finals 1-0 and captured the 2008 title by defeating North Carolina 1-0.
- Maryland owns a pair of NCAA titles in men's lacrosse, having won the tournament in 1973 after capping a perfect season (defeated Johns Hopkins, 10-9 in overtime) and also winning in 1975 by defeating Navy, 20-13 in the title game.
- Women's lacrosse has a total of nine NCAA national championships. The first NCAA title was won in 1986 and a title in 1992 was followed by seven consecutive titles from 1995-2001.
1986 Def. Penn State, 11-10
1992 Def. Harvard, 11-10 (OT)
1995 Def. Princeton, 13-5
1996 Def. Virginia, 10-5
1997 Def. Loyola (Md.), 8-7
1998 Def. Virginia, 11-5
1999 Def. Virginia, 16-6
2000 Def. Princeton, 16-8
2001 Def. Georgetown, 14-13 (OT)
- The competitive cheer team captured their fourth title in five years by winning the 2010 NCA all-girl national championship.
- Head field hockey coach Missy Meharg led Maryland to back-to-back NCAA national championships in 2005 and 2006. The Terps defeated Duke in 2005 by a score of 1-0 and defeated Wake Forest in 2006 by a score of 1-0. In 2008, the Terps recaptured the crown by defeating Wake Forest 4-2.