Bears Rally in Singles, Beat Terps
March 21, 2013
PROVIDENCE, RI - The Maryland women's tennis team relinquished its doubles point advantage in the singles session and lost, 5-2, to Brown at the Pizzitola Center Courts, Thursday afternoon.
The loss dropped the Terrapins to 0-5 on the road this season.
The Terps got off to a solid start, securing the doubles point through a 9-8 victory from senior Vroni Van Berlo and freshman Sarah Gealer at No. 1, and a Brown injury retirement at No. 2. It was Maryland's second doubles session triumph on the road this year, the last coming in a 4-3 loss to Boston College.
In singles, Brown controlled the action from the get-go and took care of the Terps, 5-1. Freshman Gabriela Srodowski continued her penchant for high drama matches, winning in a deciding super tiebreak, 11-9, to secure her match at No. 5.
The normally reliable Van Berlo and Gealer could not get anything going on Thursday, losing by identical, 6-3, 6-0, scorelines.
With the defeat, the Terps are now 1-3 against Ivy League opposition this season.
The Terrapins stay on the road for their next match, traveling to Clemson to face the Tigers on March 29. Play is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m.
1. Vroni Van Berlo/Sarah Gealer (MD) defeat Misia Krasowski/Hannah Camhi (BROWN), 9-8 (4)
2. Nataliya Bredikhina/Olga Bredikhina (MD) defeat Ashley Noyes/Jessica Harrow (BROWN), 1-0 ret
3. Nikita Uberoi/Ammu Mandalap (BROWN) defeat Gabriela Srodowski/Olga Gaistruk (MD), 8-3
1. Misia Krasowski (BROWN) defeats Vroni Van Berlo 6-3, 6-0
2. Hannah Camhi (BROWN) defeats Sarah Gealer (MD), 6-3, 6-0
3. Jessica Harrow (BROWN) defeats Olga Bredikhina (MD), 6-4, 6-4
4. Sarah Kandath (BROWN) defeats Olga Gaistruk (MD), 6-1, 6-1
5. Gabriela Srodowski (MD) defeats Nikita Uberoi (BROWN) , 6-4, 6-7 (6), 11-9
6. Ammu Mandalap (BROWN) defeats Nataliya Bredikhina (MD), 6-3, 6-2