April 17, 1997
Maryland Bows Out in First Round
ATLANTA - The University of Maryland men's tennis team ended their season this afternoon with a 6-0 loss to North Carolina State in the ACC Tournament at the Racquet Club of the South. The only highlight of the match for the Terps was an 8-6 doubles victory by sophomores Kyle Cerminara and Thomas John Klier.
Maryland ends the season with an overall record of 6-12 and an 0-9 finish in the ACC.
North Carolina State 6, Maryland 0Singles
1. Roberto Bracone (NCSU) def. Dale Cathell (MD) 6-3, 6-2
2. Devang Desai (NCSU) def. Colin Parker (MD) 6-1, 6-3
3. Jeff Smith (NCSU) def. Thomas John Klier (MD) 6-2, 6-3
4. Keith Salmon (NCSU) def. Jay Kimmel (MD) 6-3, 6-1
5. Shaun Thomas (NCSU) v. Karim Emara (MD) susp match
6. Hayes Calvert (NCSU) def. Jeff Wang (MD) 6-2, 6-0
1. Bracone/Thomas (NCSU) def. Cathell/Parker (MD) 9-7
2. David Bolick/Calvert (NCSU) def. Kimmel/Legat (MD) 8-3
3. Klier/Cerminara (MD) def. Smith/Desai (NCSU) 8-6