Mar. 19, 1997
Maryland Blanks Greyhounds
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The University of Maryland men's tennis team evened its record at 5-5 this afternoon with a 6-0 victory over Loyola (Md.) College at the tennis bubble. It was the second win in the last three matches for the Terps. Also, Maryland extended its record to 3-1 against teams in the area.
Singles winners for Maryland included seniors Dale Cathell, Collin Parker and Karim Emara, junior Jay Kimmel and sophomore Thomas John Klier. In doubles, Cathell and Parker were victorious, improving to 7-3 overall as a team. In addition, Klier reached his team-high seventh win with a 6-0, 6-0 shutout of Greyhound co-captain Chukwu Ezedi.
The next Terp match is at the University of North Carolina on Saturday, Mar. 19.Singles
1. Dale Cathell (MD) d. Scott Martinez (LC) 6-2, 6-0
2. Collin Parker (MD) d. Mark Mangus (LC) 6-2, 6-3
3. Thomas John Klier (MD) d. Chukwu Ezedi (LC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Jay Kimmel (MD) d. Eric Huntington (LC) 6-1, 6-0
5. Karim Emara (MD) d. Chris Neville (LC) 6-0, 6-3
6. Ignacio Toriell0 (LC) d. Jeff Wang (MD) -suspended match (7-5)
1. Cathell/Parker (MD) d. Ezedi/Martinez (LC) 8-1
2. Mangus/Toriello (LC) d. Kimmel/Klier (MD) 8-2
3. Wang/Cerminara (MD) d. Jubb/Huntington (LC) 8-3