Dec. 12, 2003
Columbus, Ohio -
* The Maryland starters were Noah Palmer, Seth Stammler, Ian Rodway, Kenney Bertz, Chris Lancos, Sumed Ibrahim, A.J. Herrera, Scott Buete, Clarence Goodson, Abe Thompson and Jason Garey. It was the second time this group has started this season. The Terrapins have used 13 different starting lineups in 24 games this season.
* Maryland took six shots before St. John's got a shot off. The Terps were able to force the Red Storm keeper to make four saves in the first eight minutes.
* The penalty kick by Sebastian Alvarado-Ralph was the third against Maryland this season (not counting penalty kicks). Opponents are 3-3 against the Terps in PK's this season.
* Maryland went into the half trailing for just the fourth time this season.
* For the second consecutive season, the difference in the national semifinal match was a penalty kick. UCLA scored its game-winner last season on a PK.
* Maryland's 20 victories match the school record it set last season. The 40 wins over two seasons is the most in back-to-back years for the Terps.
* The loss in the semifinals is Maryland's fourth in a row.
* The match was the last for seniors Seth Stammler, Siba Mohammed, Sumed Ibrahim, Bryan Vitagliano, A.J. Herrera, Scott Buete and Nino Marcantonio.
* Maryland outshot its opponent in every game this season.
* All of Maryland's losses have come by a 1-0 score.
* Prior to the game, Sumed Ibrahim was named one of three M.A.C. Hermann Trophy finalists. Also prior to the game, Sumed and Scott Buete were named First Team All-Americans.