Dec. 4, 2012
Watch NCAA Quarterfinal Highlights!
Buy Tickets Here!
Watch Parties Announced!
COLLEGE PARK, Md. -
No. 2 Maryland is poised to make its 12th appearance in the College Cup as it faces No. 3 Georgetown Friday at 5 p.m. in the semifinals of the 2012 NCAA Men's Soccer Championship at Regions Park in Hoover, Ala.
The Terps (20-1-2) avenged their 2011 postseason loss to Louisville with a 3-1 win Saturday over the No. 10 seeded Cardinals in the quarterfinals at Ludwig Field. London Woodberry, Jake Pace and Patrick Mullins tallied goals for Maryland, which leads the nation in scoring with 2.61 goals per match.
Georgetown (19-3-2) is making its first ever appearance in the College Cup in 2012. The Hoyas defeated San Diego 3-1 to punch their ticket to the semifinals where they will face Maryland for the first time since 2009 when the Terps won 2-1 in Washington, D.C.
Maryland leads the all-time series 28-0 against the Hoyas and is returning to the College Cup for the first time since 2008.
· Friday's match will be shown live on ESPNU.
· Fans can follow the match via Gametracker.
· Click here for ticket information for the 2012 College Cup!
NCAA Championship Central
· Click here for information on the 2012 NCAA Men's Soccer Championship.
|Maryland's Probable Starters (2012 statistics)
||Staten Island, N.Y.
||Virginia Beach, Va.
||New Orleans, La.
||Highlands Ranch, Colo.
||Falls Church, Va.
Follow Maryland Men's Soccer on Twitter
Scouting The Terps
· The Terps have reloaded for the 2012 campaign, head coach Sasho Cirovski's 20th at Maryland. With a talented recruiting
class and the return of All-American midfielder John Stertzer, there is plenty of room for optimism as Maryland aims to
capture its fourth national championship in program history.
· Patrick Mullins has been the offensive Most Valuable Player thus far, registering team-highs in goals (16), assists (8) and points (40). Stertzer has been steady as ever, tallying seven goals and six assists while mentoring a very young midfield.
· Taylor Kemp has battled injury in his return as a starter for the fourth season. The senior captain, along with Stertzer, was tabbed to the 2012 MAC Hermann Trophy Watch List. He has teamed up with senior London Woodberry to lead the squad on defense. Instrumental to the backline is the rookie duo of Dakota Edwards and Mikey Ambrose.
· Maryland has looked to its youth to seal up the goal as sophomore Keith Cardona and redshirt freshman Jordan Tatum have split time in net, with Cardona starting the majority of the season.
2012 Preseason Preview
· Offensive Weapons Work to Replace Townsend
· Stertzer Looks to Improve on Stellar 2011
· Kemp, Woodberry Return to Seal up Backline
· New Faces at Keeper
· Sasho's 20th Season - A Grind from the Get-Go
· Maryland Routs Virginia to Win 2002 ACC Title
· Terps Capture 2010 ACC Championship
· Garey Wins Terps' First MAC Hermann Trophy
· Terps Defeat UNC for Third Time, Win 2008 National Title
· Terps Smash Ludwig Attendance Record, Beat Duke
· Terps Drop Top-Ranked Virginia, Claim First ACC Tournament Crown
· Cirovski Inks Top Notch Recruiting Class
· No. 2 Maryland defeats No. 1 UCLA/The Crew is Formed
Scouting The Hoyas
· Georgetown is making its first ever appearance in the College Cup in 2012.
· The Hoyas defeated San Diego 3-1 to punch their ticket to the semifinals where they will face Maryland for the first time since 2009 when the Terps won 2-1 in Washington, D.C.
· Georgetown won the BIG EAST regular season title before bowing out to Notre Dame in the tournament championship.
· The Hoyas are led by Brandon Allen who boasts 15 goals. Steve Neumann has a team-high 13 assists. GU is outscoring opponents 39-20.
· Maryland leads the all-time series 28-0.
· Follow the Terps and their opponents in the 2012 season via these national polls:
Soccer America Poll
Terps Avenge 2011 Tourney Loss to Louisville
· No. 2 Maryland advanced to its 12th College Cup in program history with a 3-1 victory over No. 10 Louisville in the quarterfinals of the 2012 NCAA Men's Soccer Championship last Saturday.
· A raucous Ludwig Field crowd enjoyed goals from London Woodberry, Jake Pace and Patrick Mullins as the Terrapins avenged last season's NCAA tournament loss to the Cardinals.
College Cup Terrapins
· Maryland is headed to its 12th College Cup in Hoover, Ala. The Terps are 5-6 in national semifinal games.
· The Terps' last trip to the semifinals was one of the most memorable in program history as current USMNT product Graham Zusi scored a Sportscenter Top-10 gem late in the second overtime to defeat St. John's 1-0.
Maryland and the 2008 National Championship
· Maryland needed to prove twice why it was the best team in the ACC and it did just that and more, defeating North Carolina, 1-0, off a game-winner from senior Graham Zusi to capture the 2008 NCAA National Championship at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas.
Mullins Named MAC Hermann Trophy Semifinalist
· Maryland forward Patrick Mullins has been named a semifinalist for the 2012 MAC Hermann Trophy, the highest individual award in intercollegiate soccer.
· Mullins was named the ACC Offensive Player of the Year after leading the league in goals (16) and points (38) in 2012. He was tabbed ACC Championship Most Valuable Player after guiding the Terps to their second conference championship in the past three seasons.
Terps Capture 2012 ACC Championship
· Top-seeded Maryland defeated No. 2 North Carolina 2-1 to win its third title in five seasons at the 2012 ACC Men's Soccer Championship.
· The Terps picked up goals from freshmen Dakota Edwards and Schillo Tshuma to win their fifth overall conference tournament crown (1996, 2002, 2008, 2010, and 2012) in front of 9,341 fans at the Maryland SoccerPlex.
· 2012 ACC Offensive Player of the Year Patrick Mullins was tabbed the ACC Championship Tournament Most Valuable Player and was joined on the all-tournament squad by John Stertzer, London Woodberry, Tshuma and Edwards.
Cirovski Picks up Win No. 300 at Maryland
· With a gritty 2-1 double overtime victory against Clemson, Sasho Cirovski racked up his 300th victory with the Terps.
· Cirovski, who is in his 20th season at Maryland, owns a 304-116-28 record with the Terps.
Terps and the NCAA Tournament
· This is Maryland's 12th straight appearance in the tournament and its 32nd postseason berth in program history. The Terps have advanced to the third round for a nation-best 11th straight season.
· Maryland is 48-26-4 in the NCAA tournament and fell to Louisville in the third round in 2012. The Terps are returning to the College Cup for the first time since 2008 when they won the program's third national title.
Former Terps Bring Home MLS Cup
· Former Terps Omar Gonzalez and AJ Delagarza helped the LA Galaxy win its second straight MLS Cup title last Saturday.
· Gonzalez and Delagarza were both integral members of the 2008 national championship team. Gonzalez was named the 2012 MLS Cup Man of the Match after scoring the Galaxy's first goal against Houston.
#1 Terps Defeat #2 UNC in Instant Classic
· Schillo Tshuma redirected a Patrick Mullins shot late in the first overtime period to lift the No. 1 Maryland men's soccer team over No. 2 North Carolina at Ludwig Field on Oct. 19.
· A crowd of 7,340, the second highest in Maryland soccer history, saw a quality contest with the top-ranked teams in the country going back and forth on a water-logged field.
· North Carolina was able to beat Maryland on the counter and create their best chance of the night late in regulation. Junior forward Robert Lovejoy was taken down in the box late by Tshuma, but Maryland keeper Keith Cardona came up huge, saving Lovejoy's penalty and midfielder Verneri Valimaa's follow-up.
Winnin' Like It's 1968
· With a 14-0-1 record to start the 2012 season, Maryland matched its best start since the 1968 season when the Terps were co-national champions. Maryland tied Michigan State in the national championship game.
· The Terps were 11-0-1 to start the 2011 campaign.
· Freshman sensation Schillo Tshuma has been tremendous in his rookie campaign, tallying a class-high eight goals in 2012.
· In total, Maryland rookies have accounted for 17 goals and 19 assists this season.
· Maryland is a perfect 5-0 on games played on Sundays this season.
· The Terps have defeated then-#7 Louisville, California, then-#3 North Carolina, #15 Brown and #13 Coastal Carolina on Sundays. Maryland has outscored opponents 18-3 in its previous five meetings.
Former Terp Seitz Named MLS Humanitarian of the Year
· Major League Soccer announced that FC Dallas goalkeeper Chris Seitz was voted the 2012 MLS W.O.R.K.S. Humanitarian of the Year.
· This past August, Seitz was contacted by DKMS, the world's largest bone marrow center, and told that he was a potential bone marrow donation match for a leukemia patient.
Balance Across the Board
· A total of 22 players have notched a goal and/or an assist through 23 games this season.
· 16 players have scored at least one goal. That is the highest number of players to score of any team ranked nationally in the top 25.
19 and Counting!
· With a 20-1-2 record this season, Maryland has clinched yet another winning season - its 19th consecutive.
· Prior to this season, Maryland averaged 15.5 wins per season since 1994. The Terps have had four 20+ win seasons in that span and have hit the 15-victory mark 11 times.
Cirovski, Mullins Garner Top ACC Honors
· Sasho Cirovski and junior Patrick Mullins were named the 2012 Atlantic Coast Conference Coach and Offensive Player of the Year, respectively, Thursday.
· Cirovski led Maryland to ts best start in program history (14-0-1) en route to its first conference regular season championship since 2005. The award is Cirovski's third at Maryland and first since 2005.
· Mullins garnered top offensive honors after a spectacular junior campaign which has seen the New Orleans, La., native set career highs in goals, assists and points. Mullins is the first Terrapin to rack up top conference player honors since Omar Gonzalez was named ACC Defender of the Year in 2007.
Kemp Named Senior CLASS Candidate
· Taylor Kemp has been named a candidate for the 2012 Senior CLASS Award.
· Kemp, a four-year starter for Maryland, has been a mainstay in the backline since his arrival in 2009. The senior captain from Highlands Ranch, Colo., was a second team All-ACC pick in 2011.
· Kemp is a two-time Academic All-ACC selection, boasting a 3.303 grade point average in the challenging Robert H. Smith School of Business. He also volunteers as part of Maryland's reading program and Relay for Life.
Terps Rack up ACC Accolades
· In addition to Cirovski and Mullins, five other Terps earned All-ACC honors this season. Senior John Stertzer was named to the first team for the second straight season and seniors Taylor Kemp and London Woodberry, in addition to freshmen Mikey Ambrose and Schillo Tshuma, landed on the second team.
· Ambose and Tshuma also represented Maryland on the ACC All-Freshman Team.
No Rubber Stamp Lineups Here
· Maryland is using an array of starting lineups this season.
· A total of 21 players have landed in the starting XI this season, including six freshmen.
Try to Keep Up the Pace
· Redshirt junior Jake Pace has exemplified Maryland's depth, notching a career-high five goals for the Terps in 2012.
· He was named to CollegeSoccerNews.com's National Team of the Week for his work against NC State and UMBC.
Terps Crush Cal, 6-0
· The No. 6 Maryland men's soccer team coasted by California 6-0 at Ludwig Field.
· Coming off a tough draw to No. 11 UCLA on Friday, the Terps battled through rain to score their highest goal tally in nearly two years. Patrick Mullins led Maryland with three points on a goal and two assists. Jordan Cyrus picked up two late goals to give the Terps their second win of the year.
Maryland Nets Tie with UCLA, 2-2
· In a battle of two perennial college soccer powers, the No. 6 Maryland men's soccer team drew with No. 11 UCLA 2-2 on an energy-fueled night at Ludwig Field.
· Dan Metzger and John Stertzer both scored for Maryland. Stertzer netted the equalizer on a penalty kick in the 68th minute.
· The attendance of 6,562 was the then-sixth highest in Maryland men's soccer history.
· Patrick Mullins' distributing has been a pleasant addition to the junior's game in 2012.
· The New Orleans, La., product has eight assists through 23 games.
· He had seven assists total heading into this season.
· The captain also leads Maryland in goals with 16, including seven game-winners.
Terp Duo Named to MAC Hermann Trophy List
· Maryland seniors Taylor Kemp and John Stertzer were named nominees for the 2012 MAC Hermann Trophy, the highest individual honor in intercollegiate soccer.
· Kemp is a four-year starter in Maryland's backline. The Highlands Ranch, Colo., native has started in all 66 games he's appeared in heading into this season, aiding the Terps to an impressive 48-13-6 record. One of the top attacking defenders in the nation, Kemp has also netted a pair of goals and added 11 assists.
· Stertzer had a breakout campaign in 2011, netting NSCAA Third Team All-America honors after boasting a career-high 14 goals. The Oakton, Va., product, was also a First Team All-ACC selection. He tallied a squad-best five game-winners.
Terp Rookies Looking to Make Impact
· Head coach Sasho Cirovski announced the Terps' 2012 signing class, his 20th at Maryland, this spring.
· The Terps signed eight players to this year's highly-touted class. The class consists of five players on College Soccer News' Top 150 Recruits, including Michael Ambrose (#2), Christiano Francois (#45), Cody Niedermeier (#58), Ntokozo Tshuma (#60), Dakota Edwards (#83), and Donovan Fraser (#102).
· Tsubasa Endoh, David Kabelik and Ryan Reid also signed letters of intent to play for Maryland.
Protect This House
· Maryland is tremendous at its home venue, Ludwig Field, boasting a 181-37-14 record since the facility was built in 1995.
· The Terps have not lost more than two games at home in a season since 2001, recording a 114-12-10 record in the last 10 years.
· There are few venues in all of college athletics quite like the always-raucous Ludwig Field on the campus of the University of Maryland.
· Last season, Maryland averaged 3,781 fans per game and boasted three of the top ten single-game attendance figures in the nation. Excluding football and men's basketball, only three other Division I programs in any sport in the area outdrew the Terps' soccer program on average during the 2010-11 school year.
Head Coach Sasho Cirovski
· The winningest head coach in Maryland men's soccer annals, Sasho Cirovski returns for his 20th season at the helm of the prestigious Terp program.
· National Champions (2005, 2008)
· NSCAA National Coach of the Year (2005)
· ACC Coach of the Year (2003, 2005, 2012)
· 18 NCAA postseason appearances
· Five ACC Tournament titles
· Seven appearances in the College Cup
· 19 straight winning seasons
· 39 MLS players
· 34 First Team All-ACC picks
· Eight MAC Hermann Trophy finalists
Townsend Drafted Fifth by Chivas USA
· Casey Townsend became the eighth Terrapin to be drafted with a top five pick in the MLS SuperDraft. The senior forward was selected fifth overall by Chivas USA.
· The Traverse City, Mich., product became Maryland's fourth top 10 pick in the draft in the last three seasons, joining Zac MacMath (fifth overall - Philadelphia), Omar Gonzalez (third overall - Los Angeles), and Rodney Wallace (sixth overall - D.C. United).
· Townsend is the eighth top five pick for the Terps all-time, joining Leo Cullen (1998 - first), Taylor Twellman (2002 - second), Jason Garey (2006 - third), Chris Seitz (2007 - fourth), Maurice Edu (2007 - first), Gonzalez (2009 - third), and MacMath (2011 - fifth).
Fan Friendly Ludwig Field
· The Maryland men's soccer team has increasingly attracted more and more fans to Ludwig Field season after season. Heading into this season, nearly 375,000 fans have filled the stands to take in exciting Terrapin soccer action since the facility opened in 1995.
· The Terps set a Ludwig Field record Oct. 14, 2011 when 7,957 fans watched Maryland defeat Duke on a perfect College Park night set with fireworks. Maryland averaged nearly 4,000 fans per game in 2011.
The Terps When (2012)...
|Leading after first half
|Trailing after first half
|Maryland has more shots
|Opponent has more shots
|Maryland has more saves
|Opponent has more saves
|Maryland wins more corners
|Opponent wins more corners
|Maryland scores first
|Opponent scores first
|Games decided by one goal
|Games decided by 2-3 goals
|Games decided by 4 or more goals
|vs. top 25 ranked opponents
|vs. unranked opponents
|Games in August
|Games in September
|Games in October
|Games in November
|Games in December
Follow Maryland Athletics on Twitter
· Terps on the Web: For up-to-date game stories, statistics, schedules and results, and other Maryland athletic department information, please log-on to www.umterps.com on the Internet.
· GameTracker: Follow Terps games live in 2012 on your computer with GameTracker. Links for all games that will be available can be found at www.umterps.com.