Oct. 4, 1997
Game Notes: Maryland Terrapins vs. Duke Blue Devils
- Jason Hatala's 76-yard touchdown reception on Maryland's first play from scrimmage was the longest catch since Jermaine Lewis hauled in an 80-yard reception for a touchdown against West Virginia on Sept. 18, 1993.
It was also the fifth longest reception in school history: 1. 88 yards, James Milling vs UNC on Nov.1 , 1986 2. 82 yards, Roland Merritt vs Miami (Ohio) on Nov. 8, 1969 3. 80 yards, Jermaine Lewis vs West Virginia on Sept. 18, 1993. 4. 78 yards, Jermaine Lewis vs UNC on Sept. 11, 1993 5. 76 yards, Jason Hatala vs Duke, Oct. 4, 1997
- Jason Hatala's 129 receiving yards sets the school record for most yards by a freshman. The previous mark was 106 yards set by Frank Wychek against Virginia Tech on September 1, 1990.
- Jason Hatala's 129 receiving yards were the most by a Terp since Geroy Simons' 136 yards against UAB on Sept. 7, 1996. It was also the first 100-yard receiving performance againast an ACC foe since Jermaine Lewis compiled 108 yards against North Carolina on September 9, 1995.
- Brian Kopka's 47-yard field goal was the longest by a Maryland kicker since Joe O'Donnell connected from the same distance vs West Virginia on Sept. 16, 1995.
- Kopka's three made field goals were the most by a Terp kicker since Dan DeArmas connected three times against Duke on Oct. 20, 1990.
- True freshman Brian Kopka's 36-yard field goal in the second quarter was the first attempt of his career. It was the first field goal by a true freshman since 1985 (by Dan Plocki).
- Maryland's touchdown on the first play from scrimmage was also Brian Cummings' career-long completion. His previous best was a 50-yard completion vs. North Carolina on September 9, 1995.
- Brian Cummings' 242 yards passing was the second best performance of his career. His career-high was set in 1995 when he threw for 299 against Duke.
- Eric Ogbogu's fumble recovery in the second quarter was his third fumble recovery of the season and second in two weeks.
- Paul Jackson's interception in the second quarter was his first of the season and Maryland's sixth in 1997. Ogbogu tipped the pass at the line of scrimmage.
- Eric Ogbogu had a fumble recovery, a caused fumble, and a tipped pass that led to an interception this evening.
- Maryland has now defeated Duke in three consecutive meetings and have won 22 of the last 25 meetings. Maryland has had more success against Duke than against any other ACC opponent in the past 25 years.
- The 249 total net yards allowed by the Maryland defense was the lowest since they allowed the same amount against Duke on October 26, 1996 in Durham.
- Senior quarterback Brian Cummings' 242 yards passing was the most by a Maryland quarterback since Scott Milanovich threw for 380 yards against Florida State on November 18, 1995 in Tallahassee.