The University of Maryland issues media credentials under the priorities listed below. These priorities are designed to achieve efficient use of limited space available for working members of the media at University of Maryland intercollegiate athletic events.
The University of Maryland Athletics media relations office is responsible for administering this policy. Credential requests must be made by sports editors or sports directors no later than five days prior to an event by clicking the above link. For more information, contact Assistant Media Relations Director Justin Moore at 301-314-7068 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Originating radio and television personnel involved in a live television or radio broadcast of a University of Maryland intercollegiate athletic competition.
2. Daily newspapers, wire services, and regional and national publications that regularly and substantially report on University of Maryland intercollegiate athletics.
3. Non-originating radio and television personnel producing reports on a University of Maryland intercollegiate athletic competition. Only local radio stations with a full-time sports director conducting a regular and substantial sports show reporting on University of Maryland intercollegiate athletics receive consideration for credentials.
4. Officially recognized University of Maryland daily student publications and daily student electronic media outlets that regularly and substantially report on University of Maryland intercollegiate athletics.
5. Official websites of Atlantic Coast Conference schools, non-conference opponents, and the Atlantic Coast Conference office.
6. Non-daily newspapers or publications that regularly and substantially report on University of Maryland intercollegiate athletics.
7. Online entities that meet the requirements set out in guideline 7, below.
1. Season media credentials are issued to those organizations that report on University of Maryland intercollegiate athletics on a regular and substantial basis, as outlined above. Issuance of season media credentials does not guarantee working space in media work areas.
2. With the exception of Terrapin beat reporters reporting on the team on a daily basis and producing daily reports, all passes are approved and issued on a game-by-game basis.
3. Except as otherwise provided for in this policy, all passes and credentials are transferable within the same media outlet for use by those serving an editorial function. Passes used by any member of a credentialed outlet without specific editorial assignment or by non-working members of the organization are subject to revocation upon University request.
4. Due to limited space and to ensure compliance with NCAA guidelines, credentials will not be issued to "free-lance" writers or photographers without a specific assignment received in writing by the assigning organization.
5. The University of Maryland and the NCAA prohibit the issuance of credentials to representatives of an organization that regularly publishes gambling information, such as "tout sheets" or "tip sheets." The University of Maryland will not issue credentials to organizations whose primary function is to deliver news related to the recruitment of student-athletes.
6. No credentials will be issued to individuals under the age of 18. Admission to media facilities are for working media only.
7. Credentials may be issued: a) to online entities that are affiliated with a national or regional media organization; or, b) to online entities that host a website that regularly and substantially reports on University of Maryland intercollegiate athletics, and employs for that University of Maryland-dedicated website at least one full-time permanent employee who writes a substantial majority of all material posted on the site, and that registers a minimum of 20,000 legitimate unique users per month in each of the past 12 months.
An online entity that meets the requirements of either 7.a) or 7.b) and which sponsors message boards or chat rooms may be credentialed only if the entity enforces its policies regarding abusive or discriminatory material.
8. University personnel may deny or revoke credentials without notice and an individual shall surrender his/her credential upon request for: noncompliance with the priorities or guidelines set out in this policy; noncompliance with health, safety, or security directives issued regarding University athletic events; violations of University, Department of Intercollegiate Athletics, NCAA, or ACC policies; and for conduct for which there are reasonable grounds to believe violate state or federal law, or constitute a breach of professional ethics. Any organization that wishes to contest a denial or revocation shall: a) request the Media Relations Office provide a written rationale for the denial or revocation; b) submit a written response to that rationale to the Associate Athletic Director for Media Relations. After reviewing the response, the Associate Athletic Director for Media Relations, in consultation with appropriate University officials, shall issue a decision to uphold or reverse the denial or revocation. The Associate Athletic Director's decision shall be final.
9. The University of Maryland Athletics Media Relations Office reserves the right to change this policy at any time.
Credential requests must be made by sports editors or sports directors online at http://www.sportssystems.com/maryland/ no later than five days prior to an event. Credentials will be mailed whenever possible, picked up at the Athletics Media Relations Office or picked up on game day at (football) Media Will Call at Gate I (south gates under the press box) of Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium or (basketball) at the Comcast Center. Credentials will be sent for overnight delivery(via FedEx) only at the expense of the requesting outlet. All persons picking up credentials will be required to furnish positive identification.
The acceptance of media credentials is an acknowledgement of the University of Maryland's rights to the game and play-by-play coverage and an outlet's agreement to abide by any restrictions the University of Maryland may place on real-time play-by-play coverage and use of comprehensive game statistics. Failure to abide by these restrictions implemented by the University of Maryland may result in revocation of press credentials. Maryland reserves the right to grant approval for distribution of real-time play-by-play, game-related statistics and information through the Internet ("real time" is defined as any online media providing live continual play-by-play coverage, in-game statistics, digital photographs, or audio or video of an event).
All interviews with members of the Maryland Intercollegiate Athletics Department must be arranged through the Maryland Media Relations Office. Players and coaches have been instructed not to participate in interviews unless they have been arranged through the media relations office. Player phone numbers will not be released, and members of the media are asked not to attempt to contact student-athletes or relatives on the telephone, via e-mail or by any other means. Players are not available for live call-in radio shows. We require at least 24 hours notice to facilitate all interview requests. Contact the Media Relations Office at (301) 314-7064 for the primary contact assigned to the respective sport , or Zack Bolno for interviews with other staff members.
Football Media Services
Game Day Parking
Game Day media parking is located in the Regents Drive Garage, which is adjacent to the football practice fields. The parking garage is best accessed from the Regents Drive entrance to campus. Access is via pass only and is available on a limited basis. Overflow parking on a cash-only basis ($15) will be in the Regents Drive Garage.
Photo passes will be issued only to accredited photographers on assignment. Photographers must obtain an armband from the media relations staff in Tyser Tower to gain admittance to the field. Armbands will only be issued by media relations staff in the press box and will not be available for pickup on the field. Under NCAA and ACC rules, photographers are not allowed between the 25-yard lines and must remain outside of the restraining lines surrounding the playing field.
All player interviews must be arranged through Matt Taylor or Justin Moore in the Maryland media relations office. Taylor can be reached at 301-314-7065 or via email at email@example.com. Moore is available at 301-314-7068 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will be conducted on Tuesday and Wednesday, as well as postgame. No interviews will be conducted on Sunday, Monday, Thursday or Friday.
During the season, the first 20 minutes of Tuesday's practice is open to both still photographers and videographers from credentialed media outlets.
Head Coach Interviews
Randy Edsall is available to the media at his weekly news conference which takes place at 12:30 p.m. each Tuesday in Young Dining Hall of the Gossett Team House. Edsall is also available at 11 a.m. each Wednesday on the ACC teleconference (contact Mike Finn in the conference office for access). In addition, he will meet with media in his office at 1 p.m. each Thursday, and hold a teleconference each Sunday at 4 p.m. (contact Taylor or Moore for access info). Offensive coordinator Mike Locksley will be available at Gossett Team House each Wednesday from 12:30-45 p.m., and defensive coordinator Brian Stewart will be available from 12:45-1 p.m.
Select players are available for interviews from 1-2 p.m. each Tuesday at the football news conference. Requested players are also available from 1-2 p.m. each Wednesday and during postgame.
Head coach Randy Edsall and selected players will be brought to Glazer Auditorium on the main floor of the Gossett Football Team House for postgame interviews. The auditorium is located one level above the playing field. Interviews with the visiting team coach and players will be coordinated by the opponent SID staff. The opposing team interview area is located in a tent outside the visiting locker room (opposite side of the field from the Tyser Tower Press Box). The Terps follow similar guidelines for coach and player interviews for road games. Maryland's locker room is closed following games.
The press box is located on the south side of Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium in Tyser Tower. Access to Level 5 is via elevators.
Complete team and individual statistics by quarter, play-by-play, and postgame notes and quotes will be provided to the working media. Scores of other college games are provided before, during and after the game. In-game stat monitors are stationed throughout the press box. An internal PA system will provide updated statistics and notes throughout the game.
Telephones and Internet
A limited number of telephones are available in the Tyser Tower Press Box (calling card required). Any additional telephone requests should be directed to Josh Kaplan, Director of Operations and Facilities, at 301-314-9729. List Matt Taylor or Justin Moore as the contact person for all installations. Wireless Internet access is free and available by contacting the Media Relations staff on game day.
A meal will be provided to credentialed media in the Tyser Tower press box (fifth floor) on game days. Complimentary water and soda will also be available. Media members who would like to bring food into the stadium may do so, but must enter through Gate I, which is adjacent to the media will call window. However, that gate opens 90 minutes prior to kickoff. Media members who arrive earlier will need to enter through Gate J. Media will call opens three hours prior to kickoff.
Highlights of Maryland home games not televised will be distributed via satellite. In addition, the Atlantic Coast Conference uplinks game highlights and selected interviews from each ACC school on Wednesday afternoons during the season.
All of Maryland's news releases and statistics, as well as quotes from head coach Randy Edsall's weekly press conference, can be accessed at umterps.com.
Men's Basketball Media Services
Basketball releases may be obtained electronically by contacting Justin Moore at email@example.com.