The Maryland Terrapin women’s soccer team kicks off its 2013 regular season Friday when it hosts The Citadel at Ludwig Field. The match is slated for a 7 p.m. start.
• Did you know ... Maryland is 16-8-2 all-time in season openers? The Terps have not allowed a goal in their previous nine regular-season openers, outscoring opponents 20-0.
• Season tickets for Maryland women's and men's soccer matches are available online by clicking here. Tickets for 10 women's and 10 men's matches are just $69 for adults and $39 for youth or seniors. A Familty 4Pak is also available for $43.75.
• Tickets for the Maryland-Citadel match are available also online by clicking here. Tickets are $6 for adults and $4 for youth or seniors. Tickets are also available at Ludwig Field one hour prior to kick off.
• Maryland Women’s Soccer would like to see YOU at Ludwig Field this season! See the Terps game day promotion schedule below. Make sure to check back often as promotion dates and details are subject to change. For more information contact Jordan Looby by phone at (301) 314-7162 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, August 23 vs. Citadel at 7:00 p.m. Camper Reunion Night – We encourage all Maryland Women’s Soccer campers to come out to the game! Campers who wear their shirt will receive FREE entry into the game.
Monday, August 26 vs. Villanova at 7:00 p.m. Soccer on a School Night – All High School & Middle School teams, with the submission of a roster at least 24 hours prior to the game, will receive free admission!
Friday, August 30 vs. George Mason at 7:00 p.m. Youth Soccer Night -- All youth soccer players will be able to purchase $3 discount tickets if they wear their team’s soccer jersey to the game!
Sunday, September 1 vs. Navy at 7:00 p.m. Pre-Game Clinic -- The Terps will host a pregame skills clinic for soccer players in grades 1-8! The clinic will be $15, which includes a ticket to the game and a Maryland Soccer T-shirt. Space is limited so email Jordan Looby at email@example.com to reserve a spot early!
Youth Soccer Night-- All youth soccer players will be able to purchase $3 discount tickets if they wear their team’s soccer jersey to the game!
Military Appreciation Day – Members of the military will receive complimentary admission upon presentation of a military ID and will be recognized at halftime.
Autograph Session -- Fans will be invited to participate in an autograph session with the team after the night’s game!
• General Information: After 4 p.m. on weekdays and on weekends, there is no charge for parking in Lots Z1 or 1b or in Regents Drive Garage. Lots R2 and R3 are limited to vehicles displaying current valid permits for the respective lots at all times. The Stadium Drive Garage is closed on weekends.
• There is no live video or audio for the Maryland-Citadel game. Fans will also be able to follow all of the action on umterps.com via LiveStats (link will be live at game time).
• Updates will also be posted to the Maryland Women's Soccer Facebook page and Twitter feed, so "Like" and "Follow" to get updates sent straight to you.
Women's Soccer LIVE on TerpsTV
• Up to eight (8) Maryland women's soccer matches will be streamed live on TerpsTV Premium in 2013, beginning with Monday's match vs. Villanova. Fans will be able to watch all of the action from anywhere by subscribing to TerpsTV.
• A subscription to TerpsTV also includes live events for men's soccer, field hockey, volleyball in the fall, as well as weekly football press conferences and live events during the winter and spring seasons.
• Maryland begins the 2013 season ranked in all three major Top 25 polls. The Terps are No. 17 in both the NSCAA and Soccer America preseason rankings and are No. 18 in TopDrawerSoccer.com's preseason poll.
2013 Maryland Terrapins: 0-0-0, 0-0-0 ACC
(Soccer America #13, NSCAA #9, TopDrawerSoccer.com #14)
• Maryland has played just one exhibition prior to tonight’s opener, defeating Loyola 3-1. The Terps dominated their in-state foes, outshooting the Greyhounds 28-6. Maryland scored the lone goal of the first half in the 31st minute when sophomore Ashley Spivey finished a pass from sophomore Riley Barger. After Loyola tied the score early in the second half, sophomore Maisie McCune got on the end of a corner kick from sophomore Shannon Collins to score the game-winner off a perfect header into the upper left 90 in the 72nd minute. Junior Alex Doody finished a cross from freshman Natasha Ntone-Kouo in the 77th minute to add an insurance goal.
Scouting The Bulldogs
• The Citadel is coming off of a 5-12-1 season in 2012, which also saw the Bulldogs go 3-7-1 on the road.
2013 Citadel Bulldogs: 0-0-0, 0-0-0 Big South
(Soccer America NR, NSCAA NR, TopDrawerSoccer.com NR)
• The Citadel enters the 2013 regular season off of a 1-1 tie vs. USC Upstate in an exhibition match on Aug, 19.
• The Bulldogs return their leading scorer from 2012 in senior forward Maraina Garcia, who had 28 points on 14 goals. The only other returning player for The Citadel to record multiple goals is senior forward Nicole Levermann, who had three goals and an assist.
• Senior goalkeeper Sarah Katchen returns after starting 16 games for the Bulldogs in 2012 with a 2.33 goals-against average.
Series History vs. The Citadel
• This will be the first-ever meeting between the Terps and The Citadel.
Head Coach Jonathan Morgan
• Jonathan Morgan enters his second season at the helm of the Maryland women’s soccer program after spending the previous five seasons on the Terrapin sideline as an assistant coach. He is 14-7-2 (.652) as the Terps’ head coach.
Terps In Overtime
• Maryland has played in 97 overtime games in its 26-year history. The Terps’ all-time record in those overtime games is 29-25-43 (.521).
• The Terrapins have played in eight overtime games in the ACC tournament and have a 3-1-4 mark in those games. Maryland won the shootout in three of the four games it tied in the ACC tournament.
Terps Toppling Top 10 Teams
• Maryland has defeated a Top 10 ranked team 21 times in its history. The Terps' most memorable Top 10 victory, 2-1 at No. 2 North Carolina on Oct. 24, tied for he highest ranked opponent ever defeated by Maryland. The Terrapins defeated No. 2 Boston College on Oct. 7 in Chestnut Hill, Mass. Those two victories mark the first time in program history that Maryland has defeated two Top 10 teams in a single month. The Terps then added to that with another 2-1 win over No. 8 Florida State on Oct. 28. The latest Top 10 win for the Terps came on Nov.. 2, 2012 in the ACC semifianls at the WakeMed Soccer Park in Cary, N.C., when Maryland defeated No. 6 Wake Forest, 2-0. That marked the Terps' first shutout of a top 10 team since their 1-0 win at No. 10 Tennessee in the 2006 season opener.Earlier this season, the Terps topped No. 6 North Carolina on Sept. 13, 2012 to become the first team in history to defeat the Tar Heels three straight times in three consecutive seasons. Here's a list of all of the Terps' Top 10 wins:
Nov. 2, 2012
vs. #6 Wake Forest
Sept. 27, 2012
Sept. 13, 2012
#6 North Carolina
Oct. 27, 2011
#8 North Carolina
Oct. 28, 2010
#8 Florida State
Oct. 24, 2010
at #2 North Carolina
Oct. 7, 2010
at #2 Boston College
Oct. 8, 2009
#6 Virginia Tech
Aug. 25, 2006
at #10 Tennessee
Nov. 14, 2004
at #5 Penn State
Oct. 23, 2004
Sept. 12, 2004
vs. #3 UCLA
Oct. 13, 2001
Aug. 29, 2000
#4 Penn State
Oct. 17, 1999
Sept. 19, 1999
at #9 Duke
Sept. 18, 1998
Nov. 7, 1997
vs. #8 Duke
Oct. 12, 1997
Oct. 1, 1995
Oct. 8, 1993
#8 William & Mary
• Dating back to its 10-0 win over Mount St. Mary's in 2008, Maryland has lost only three times in its last 40 matches vs. non-ACC opponents. The Terps have outscored its non-conference opposition 112-21 in those 40 matches.
• The Terps recorded 20 straight wins over non-ACC foes before tying Georgetown, 1-1, in second round of the NCAA tournament in 2010. Maryland is now 32-3-4 in its last 39 non-conference games. The Terps had been unbeaten in 31-straight non-conference games prior to losing, 1-0, at Oklahoma State in the Sweet 16 of the 2011 NCAA tournament. So far this season Maryland has defeated Navy, 3-0, tied Villanova, 0-0, dropped a 1-0 decision at Ohio State, topped George Mason, 3-1, thumped Towson, 5-0, pulled out a late 2-1 win at Alabama, dropped a 1-0 decision to Fordham and finished its regular-season non-conference slate with a 5-1 win over Francis Marion.
122 And Counting At Ludwig Field
• The Terps won their 100th match at Ludwig Field with a 6-0 victory over Iona on Aug. 20, 2010. Since its opening in 1995, Ludwig Field has proved to be a tremendous home-field advantage for the Terps women’s soccer team. All-time Maryland is 122-50-21 (.687) at Ludwig Field.
• Through the seasons, the Terps have had a knack for shutting teams out at Ludwig Field. Maryland has won 76 of its 122 victories (62.3%) at Ludwig Field via shutout. Add in the 12 0-0 ties the Terps have had at Ludwig Field and it totals 88 times that Maryland has shutout its opponent in 193 games (45.6%).