COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- The 10th-ranked Maryland field hockey team (5-3, 1-0 B1G) will welcome No. 19 Iowa (4-5, 0-1) to the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex Friday for a 3 p.m. matchup.
• Admission is free. Fans coming to campus prior to 4 p.m. can park in lot 4B. Fans parked outside of lot 4B are subject to ticketing. Click here for a campus parking map.
• Friday is Maryland's LGBT Awareness Day. The first 150 fans will get a Maryland Equality T-shirt. All students will also be invited to a free tailgate during the game.
right here, right now
• The Terrapins fell to No. 17 Princeton, 2-1, Tuesday night in College Park. The Tigers scored 3:38 into the match, then again in the 27th minute. Bodil Keus sent in a penalty stroke in the 47th minute to cut into the Tigers' lead, but the Terrapins fell just short.
• Fifth-year senior Marissa Cutry will serve as the Terps’ team captain for the 2017 season.
• The Terrapins welcome eight newcomers to the roster this season from all over the world and the United States. These new faces come to College Park from The Netherlands, South Africa, Pennsylvania and the local area.
• Head coach Missy Meharg is in her 30th season as head coach of the Terrapins. She’s led them to a record of 532-131-9 (.798), seven NCAA titles, 23 conference titles and 16 Final Fours. She has been named NFHCA National Coach of the Year an unprecedented nine times in her career.
Scouting the hawkeyes
• No. 19 Iowa is 4-5 overall this year and 0-1 in Big Ten play. Last weekend, the Hawkeyes fell to No. 3 Penn State, 3-0, and beat Penn, 3-2.
• Katie Birch is leading Iowa with nine goals so far this season.
• The Terps lead the all-time series with Iowa, 12-3-1 and are 2-0 vs. the Hawkeyes in the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex. The Terps have won the last eight meetings, dating back to 1995. Most recently, Maryland won 4-2 in Iowa City on Sept. 23, 2016. Linnea Gonzales scored twice in the final eight minutes to give the Terps the win.
Maryland in the rankings
• Maryland was tabbed as the No. 10 team in the country in the Penn Monto/Division I Coaches poll released Sept. 19.
Penn Monto/Division I Coaches Poll
1. Connecticut (43)
3. Penn State*
4. Virginia (1)
5. Delaware (2)
7. North Carolina
8. Boston College
11. Wake Forest
13. James Madison
18. William & Mary
21. Saint Joseph's
24. Boston University
Three Terps Selected To Big Ten Players To Watch List
• Hanks has been a leader of the Terrapins’ defense the last three years, starting in all 69 games of her career. She’s scored nine goals with 12 assists in her career. Hanks was named to the NFHCA All-Mid Atlantic Region Second Team for the second straight season last year.
• Holsboer earned NFHCA Third Team All-America honors last season, as well as All-Big Ten Second Team honors. She has 11 career goals and 24 career assists in her 68 career games.
• Gonzales was named Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 2015. She has notched 20 career goals and six assists. The junior also earned NFHCA All-Mid Atlantic Region honors the last two seasons.
• Katie Bam, a two-time Olympian, played for the Terrapins from 2007 through 2010, leading them to the 2008 and 2010 NCAA championships, as well as three ACC titles. A four-time NFHCA All-American, Bam was named ACC Player of the Year all four years of her career, and won the Honda Sports Award as the nation's top player twice. She represented the United States
• Marvin Bam brings over 20 years of experience as a player and a coach to College Park. In 2017, he served as an assistant at Harvard and
HOME SWEET HOME
Since its opening in 2003, the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex has provided the Maryland hockey program a huge
• The Terps are 163-20 (.891) all-time at the Complex.
• Maryland won 38 straight games at the Complex from Oct.11, 2008 through Oct. 14, 2011. The streak ended with a 5-2 loss to then-No. 1 Old Dominion.
• The Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex has played home to 26 of Maryland's NCAA Tournament games and has played host to three Final Fours (2007, 2010, 2014). The Terrapins are 23-3 in those games and won the 2010 national title on their home field.
PACK THE HOUSE
• The Maryland field hockey team has increasingly attracted more and more fans to the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex season after season. The Terrapins have led the nation in attendance in five of the last seven years.
terps on national teams
• Eight Terrapins, former and present, are currently on USA Field Hockey’s national team rosters.
• Jill Witmer competed with Team USA in the Rio Olympics last summer, along with volunteer assistant coach Stefanie Fee.
overtime is terps time
During Missy Meharg's tenure, the Terrapins have become one of the nation's most dangerous teams in overtime.
• The Terps are 63-24 (.724) all-time in games that went to overtime or penalty strokes.
• In Meharg's tenure, the Terps are 52-20 (.722) in overtime or penalty strokes games.