COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Maryland (18-11, 7-9) will play its final road game of the 2017-18 regular season Monday when the Terps travel to face Northwestern (15-13, 6-9). It will be the second meeting between the two schools in nine days, after the Terrapins defeated the Wildcats 73-57 in College Park on February 10. The game will be broadcast live on Fox Sports 1.
• Sophomore guard Kevin Huerter starred in that win on Feb. 10, scoring 12 of his 22 points in the first five minutes. The Terps led wire-to-wire and led by as much as 21 in the second half. Maryland shot 27-for-51 (52.9 percent) from the field in one of the squad’s most complete performances of the season.
• Former Maryland head coach Charles “Lefty” Driesell has been named a finalist for the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame as announced on February 17. Driesell won 348 games in 17 seasons at Maryland, and currently ranks 12th among Division I coaches in all-time victories with an overall coaching record of 786-394 (.666).
• Freshman Bruno Fernando has been sensational for the Terps the past week, shooting 74% from the field while averaging 19.5 points, 12.5 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 1.5 blocks while in games vs. Nebraska and Rutgers. Fernando posted 21 points (tying his career-high), nine rebounds and a career high five assists at Nebraska on 2/13, then notched a career-high 16 rebounds as well as a game-high 18 points vs. Rutgers on 2/17.
• Fernando’s 16 rebounds against Rutgers were the most recorded by a Terrapin in a game this season, surpassing the 15 rebounds recorded by Kevin Huerter against Fairleigh Dickinson on December 21. Fernando has led the Terps rebounding since the loss of Justin Jackson earlier this season, averaging 6.6 boards per game along with 10.2 points.
• Fernando’s dunks again electrified the XFINITY Center on Feb 17, as his inbound alley-oop play earned him the No. 2 spot on ESPN’s SportsCenter Top-10 list. Fernando has also had dunks vs. Iowa (No. 4 – Feb. 7) and Ohio (No. 7 – Dec. 7) appear on the #SCTop10.
• Anthony Cowan Jr. continues to be the catalyst for Maryland on the offensive end this season, as the Bowie, Md. native has led the Terps in scoring in 16 different games including eight of 16 Big Ten contests. Cowan Jr. is averaging a team-best 17.1 points per game in Big Ten play, and averages a league-high 36.9 minutes per game.
• Maryland has seen an uptick in efficiency on the offensive end over the past five games, out-shooting all five opponents, including #2 Michigan State and #6 Purdue, during the stretch.
• Maryland has outshot every opponent it has faced over the past seven games, including #2 Michigan State and #6 Purdue. The Terps are ranked fourth in the conference in field goal pct. (48.2) and third in three-point field goal pct. (38.6%).
2017-18 maryland basketball gameday
• Fans are reminded that the Maryland Athletics Clear Bag Policy is in effect for all Maryland home games for the 2017-18 season. For more information, please click here.
• For further information on gameday at the XFINITY Center, please reference the XFINITY Center A-Z guide.