COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Maryland (14-4, 3-2 B1G) will hit the road to face Ohio State (13-4, 4-0 B1G) for its first leg of back-to-back road games Thursday, January 11 at 7:00 pm. The game will be broadcast live on ESPN2.
• The Terps are 6-5 all-time against the Buckeyes, and have won the past four meeting between the two schools. Maryland swept the season series last year, winning 77-71 in Columbus on January 31, and 86-77 when the teams met at the XFINITY Center on February 11.
• Freshman Bruno Fernando was named the Big Ten Freshman of the Week on January 8 after the Luanda, Angola native posted a double-double against Penn State, then went for a career-high 21 points against Iowa to help pace Maryland to two wins. This is the first Freshman of the Week honor for Fernando, and the second for a Maryland freshman this year after Darryl Morsell earned the honor on November 20.as
• Fernando has been ma major factor for the Terps in conference play, as the Luanda, Angola native is averaging 13.4 points, 8.0 rebounds while shooting 54.3% (25-of-46) from the floor.
• Maryland has done a solid job taken care of the basketball its past three games, averaging just 8.6 turnovers against Penn State, #1 Michigan State and Iowa. Sophomore point guard Anthony Cowan Jr. has been key during the three-game stretch, holding a 3.75 assist to turnover ratio while commanding the Terrapin offense.
• Anthony Cowan Jr. continues to be the catalyst for Maryland on the offensive end this season, as the Bowie, Md. native has led the Terps in scoring in 12 different games including four of five Big Ten contests. Cowan leads Maryland in points per game (16.2), which ranks seventh in the Big Ten. He also leads the Terps in free throw pct. (87.0%), assists per game (4.6) and steals per game (1.4) while averaging a league-high 35.6 minutes per game.
• Six players finished in double figures for the Terps against Iowa on Jan. 7, marking the second time this season the Terps have had six double figure scorers in a game (12/21 vs. Fairleigh Dickinson). It was the first time Maryland has had six double digit scorers in a conference game since joining the Big Ten, and the first since having six double figure scorers vs. Wake Forest 86-60 on Feb. 2, 2013.
• Head coach Mark Turgeon is currently participating in the Infiniti Coaches Charity Challenge in support of the Alzheimer’s Association – the world’s leading voluntary health organization in Alzheimer’s care, support and research. Turgeon has a personal connection with Alzheimer’s as his wife, Ann, lost her father, Jon Fowler, to Alzheimer’s in June of 2006 at the age of 68 after being diagnosed with the disease six years prior. Click here to vote for coach Turgeon.
2017-18 maryland basketball gameday
• Fans are reminded that the Maryland Athletics Clear Bag Policy is in effect for all Maryland home games for the 2017-18 season. For more information, please click here.
• For further information on gameday at the XFINITY Center, please reference the XFINITY Center A-Z guide.