COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- Maryland (16-10, 5-8) will play its third leg in a stretch of four games in 10 days Saturday when the Terps host Northwestern (15-10, 6-6) at the XFINITY Center Saturday at noon. The game will be broadcast live on ESPN2.
• Mark Turgeon and his staff will join over 4,000 coaches across the country this weekend wearing Autism Speaks puzzle pins to raise awareness and increase understanding and acceptance of people with autism in the 5th Annual Autism Speaks Coaches Powering Forward Campaign.
• Maryland basketball is celebrating alumni weekend today, and will recognize over 35 former players during the game.
• This will be the first regular season meeting between the two schools since last season when Maryland pulled out a 74-64 victory over the Wildcats on February 17, 2017 in Evanston. Northwestern came out ahead 72-64 when the two schools met in the quarterfinals of last year’s Big Ten Tournament.
• Senior Jared Nickens has found his stroke over the past five games, averaging 9.6 points per game while shooting 13-of-26 (50%) from three. Nickens leads the Terps in three-point field goals made (7) over the past three games and is now tied with Drew Nicholas (1999-03) for career three pointers made (176) at Maryland.
• Anthony Cowan Jr. continues to be the catalyst for Maryland on the offensive end this season, as the Bowie, Md. native has led the Terps in scoring in 20 different games including eight of 13 Big Ten contests. Cowan is averaging a team-best 18.2 points per game in Big Ten play.
• Cowan Jr. leads Maryland in points per game (16.2), which ranks 10th in the Big Ten. He also leads the Terps in free throw pct. (84.4% - T-8th in B1G), assists per game (5.0 – 4th in B1G) and steals per game (1.5 – 7th in B1G) while averaging a league-high 36.6 minutes per game.
• Cowan Jr. is on pace to play the most minutes per game in a season for a Terrapin since Greivis Vasquez (37.0 – 2007-08) and will likely finish in the top-five in season minutes average at the end of year.
• Freshman Darryl Morsell has become a major factor for Maryland on the boards with the loss of Justin Jackson and Ivan Bender this season, in addition to the absence of Michal Cekovsky over the past three games, with Morsell averaging 6.1 rebounds over the past nine games. The 6-4 Baltimore, Md. native collected a career-high nine rebounds against Purdue on January 31.
2017-18 maryland basketball gameday
• Fans are reminded that the Maryland Athletics Clear Bag Policy is in effect for all Maryland home games for the 2017-18 season. For more information, please click here.
• For further information on gameday at the XFINITY Center, please reference the XFINITY Center A-Z guide.