HUNTINGTON, W.V. – The No. 38 Maryland women’s tennis team extended its winning streak to three matches as the Terps took down No. 48 Marshall, 4-3.
Behind the strong play of Ekaterina Tour and Caroline Williams, Maryland improved its best start in program history, and is now 9-1 on the season.
Maryland came out strong to start the match, and wins from the doubles pairings of Tour and Williams, as well as Arnelle Sullivan and Cassandre Thebault, gave Maryland the doubles point for the ninth consecutive match.
Marshall responded when singles play began, and picked up a win at third singles to even the score. Tour then regained the lead for the Terps with a 6-3, 6-4 sweep of Maddie Silver at second singles.
Herd star Derya Turhan then picked up a win at first singles for Marshall, and the score was tied once again.
The back and forth action continued, and after Thebault gave the Terps a 3-2 advantage, Marshall was able to even up the score again when they picked up a win at fourth singles.
All eyes then turned to sixth singles with each team needing one more point for the victory. Williams came through again for the Terps, and her 6-3, 6-4, win game Maryland the victory.
Williams’ victory is her third in a row, and she is now 5-1 in singles on the season.
“I’m very proud of our effort today,” head coach Daria Panova said. “We may not have played our best on every court, but all of the girls played extremely hard. I’m extremely proud of Katya and Caroline for clinching the doubles point together and then Caroline clinched the victory for us. Marshall gave us another great test but I’m really happy with the girls’ ability to turn things around today.”
The win gives Maryland a 4-0 road record to start the season, which is the best start to a road schedule since the 1997-1998 season.
Maryland will be back in action on Saturday, March 18, when the Terps travel to VCU.
1. Derya Turhan (MAR) def. Alexandra Stanova (UMD) 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
2. Ekaterina Tour (UMD) def. Maddie Silver (MAR) 6-3, 6-4
3. Stephanie Smith (MAR) def. Arnelle Sullivan (UMD) 6-2, 6-0
4. Anna Pomyatinskaya (MAR) def. K. Yemelyanenka (UMD) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
5. Cassandre Thebault (UMD) def. Rachael Morales (MAR) 1-6, 7-5, 5-3
6. Caroline Williams (UMD) def. Marija Bogicevic (MAR) 6-3, 6-4
1. Ekaterina Tour/Caroline Williams (UMD) def. Derya Turhan/Anna Pomyatinskaya (MAR) 6-3
2. Rachael Morales/Stephanie Smith (MAR) def. Alexandra Stanova/K. Yemelyanenka (UMD) 6-3
3. Arnelle Sullivan/Cassandre Thebault (UMD) def. Maddie Silver/Marija Bogicevic (MAR) 6-4
ORDER OF FINISH