Terrapin Field Hockey Squad Fall to Wake, 3-0, in NCAA Semis

Nov. 19, 2004

Box Score

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Second-ranked Maryland field hockey fell to host Wake Forest, 3-0, in the NCAA Tournament semifinal game on Friday night at Kentner Stadium. The Terps, who were making their fifth semifinal appearance in six years, end their season at 17-6.

Despite the score, the game was a hard-fought battle.

Both teams were relentless defensively for the first 29 minutes of the game. The teams moved up and down the field but neither could get a shot attempt until almost six minutes remaining in the half. Maryland's Paula Infante (Santiago, Chile) broke through for the game's first shot but went wide.

A minute later, Wake Forest earned a penalty corner and jumped on the rare opportunity as Lauren Crandall converted on the attempt, giving WFU a 1-0 lead with 4:59 left before the break. Maeke Boreel and Claire Laubach recorded assists on the play.

A minute later, the Deacons drew another penalty corner opening up an opportunity to add to the lead. Wake fired off back-to-back but the first was blocked by Maryland defender and second went wide and the score remained at 1-0.

With just under two minutes to play in the period, Boreel sailed a pass into the circle from the wing on the fastbreak and connected with Kelly Dostal, who dove and deflected the shot into the net putting WFU up, 2-0.

After the break, the teams continued to be evenly matched, but the Deacons were opportunistic, drawing four penalty corner in the second period. On one of the attempts, Dostal's low shot from the baseline was saved by freshman Kathryn Masson (Richmond, British Columbia). But the save bounced high in front of the net, hitting the crossbar. The ball came down in front of the Deacon's Tamar Meijer who batted it in from the goal line, giving Wake Forest a 3-0 lead in the 49th minute.

The next three Wake Forest corners came over a one minute, 10 second span beginning at 50:09. On the third corner, Dostal fired a shot straight on from the top of the circle and Masson made the big stop.

The Terps' first penalty corner was with just over five minutes left in the contest. Maryland was able to get off a pair of shots, but WFU goalkeeper Kristina Gagliardi made a save on each attempt to preserve to shutout.

The defensive clash continued until the final whistle as the Deacons earned the win and move on to the championship game.

It is the first time this season Maryland has been shutout in a game. Masson, who was making her first appearance in the NCAA semifinals, posted four saves in the game.

Wake Forest moves on to face Duke in the championship game for a rematch last year's final.

No. 2 Maryland (17-6)         0          0   -    0
No. 3 Wake Forest (19-3)      2          1   -    3
GOALS: MD- None. WFU- Lauren Crandall (Maeke Boreel, Claire Laubach), pc, 30:01; Kelly Dostal (Maeke Boreel), 33:21; Tamar Meijer (un), 48:52. SHOTS: MD 6, WFU 11. PENALTY CORNERS: MD 2, WFU 6. SAVES: MD- Kathryn Masson 4 (3 GA, 70:00); WFU- Kristina Gagliardi 3 (0 GA, 70:00). ATTENDANCE: 765.