Field Hockey Uses Two OTs To Top Wake, 3-2, In NCAA Semifinal

Nov. 16, 2001

KENT, Ohio - It was d?j? vu all over again for the Terrapins when freshman forward Colleen Barbieri (Centereach, N.Y.) one-timed a cross from senior Dina Rizzo (Walpole, Mass.) to end a 99 minute gritty, hard-fought NCAA semifinal field hockey match in Maryland's favor, 3-2. Trailing for much of the game to ACC-rival Wake Forest, the rookie and veteran connected to tie it up on an identical score at the end of the second half, and the "golden goal" with 57 seconds to play in double-overtime to complete the Terp comeback.

Maryland takes on Michigan (17-5) on Sunday, Nov. 18 at Kent State University's Dix Stadium for the field hockey national championship. The Wolverines dispatched Princeton, 4-2, in the other NCAA semifinal and face the Terps for the title in a rematch of the 1999 national championship game.

"To be down, come back, and finish in overtime - that is just a testament to the way our team is," said Maryland head coach Missy Meharg. "This group understands urgency - they get it. I'm elated for the team and excited to be playing for the national championship."

Wake Forest began the contest on the attack, and registered a goal less than ten minutes into the action. After Maryland goalie Ashley Hohnstine (Oak Hill, Va.) made a stop on a Jennie Shelton shot, Maria Whitehead slid forward to tip in the rebound. The Terrapins came back to tie it at 1-1 when Rachel Hiskins (Melbourne, Victoria, Australia) snaked into the circle and bounced a shot between Demon keeper Katie Ridd's legs. But Wake, which registered a 6-0 corner advantage in the first half, went ahead 2-1 on a direct corner by Kelly Doton. They took the lead into the halftime huddle.

Both teams scrambled back-and-forth to get their offenses going in the second half, and it was a seesaw battle. Four minutes after a time-out at 10:26 the Terrapins broke through to tie the game, as Barbieri rifled the pass from Rizzo on a fast break. The Terps and Deacs (16-5) remained deadlocked at 2-2 at the end of regulation.

Chances came for both teams in the first seven-a-side overtime, but neither team could find the back of the cage. Hohnstine, who finished with a season-high nine saves, was sensational. The nation's leading netminder thwarted fast break after fast break and stopped two extra-time corners.

The second overtime featured terrific effort by both teams as the weary Terps and Deacs pressed on. Seniors Autumn Welsh (Macungie, Pa.), Caroline Walter (Reilingen, Germany), Rizzo and Hiskins, kept Maryland headed forward. The clock ticked down to under one minute when Rizzo, breaking toward the right side of the cage, skipped her second pass of the game to Barbieri on the left post, who one-timed it past Ridd.

The Terrapins are making their second title game appearance in the last three years, having beaten Michigan 2-1 for the championship in 1999. Maryland has now won 20 games for the second time in three seasons and the third time in program history.

Live stats will be available on Kent State's website, live text play-by-play on, and a halftime and final report on the FanFone at 301-314-TERP.

1st 2nd OT 2OT Final Maryland (20-3) 1 1 0 1 -- 3 Wake Forest (16-5) 2 0 0 0 -- 2

GOALS: Maryland - Rachel Hiskins (un), 17:55 (1st), Colleen Barbieri (Dina Rizzo), 6:38 (2nd), Barbieri (Rizzo), 0:57 (2nd). Wake Forest - Maria Whitehead (un), 28:41 (1st), Kelly Doton (Maria Whitehead, Heather Aughinbaugh (DC)), 16:54 (1st). SHOTS: Maryland 7, Wake Forest 14. PENALTY CORNERS: Maryland 2, Wake Forest 8. CAUTIONS: Maryland - Barbieri (Green), 3:45 (2OT). Wake Forest - Jennie Shelton (Green), 8:13 (2nd). SAVES: Maryland - Ashley Hohnstine (9 saves, 2 goals allowed, 99:03 minutes). Wake Forest - Katie Ridd (1 save, 2 goals allowed, 99:03 minutes).

Contact: Mark Fratto
301-314-8052 (phone)
301-314-9094 (fax)