#5 Maryland Held Off By #4 Princeton, 3-2

Oct. 2, 2012

Final Stats

PRINCETON, N.J. - After leading 2-1 at halftime, No. 5 Maryland was edged at No. 4 Princeton, 3-2, but a late surge by the Tigers offense gave them the lead. The Terrapins (8-3, 2-1 ACC) pushed the Tigers (9-1, 3-0 Ivy) in the final minutes, but could not convert.

"Maryland played a really strong game. We definitely missed some great scoring opportunities," head coach Missy Meharg said. "Princeton, like Virginia, has some very dynamic players. Maryland found itself with players down a couple times in the game today and a goal was scored in a numbers deficit situation. This is something we need to address and work on very hard."

"It's about keeping the win when you're up 2-1. You want to be up by three goals. We're going to work very hard on finishing. I am proud of the women for the way that they competed, for the way that they came out, but we also need to be accountable for our finishing. We'll work very hard on that."

Princeton took the early lead on the first shot of the game. Michelle Cesan dribbled in and scored from the left side for a 1-0 lead 6:21 in.

Freshman Alyssa Parker tied the game in the 22nd minute when she tipped in Megan Frazer's rebounded shot that was saved. Eight minutes later, sophomore Katie Gerzabek created enough space to crack a hard shot from the top left corner of the circle for a 2-1 Maryland lead at halftime.

The Tigers came out of the break and scored two goals in the first 15 minutes. The Terps earned stops on the first two of three Princeton corners. On the third corner and the Terrapins down a player due to a card, Kat Sharkey tied it up with 26:51 left to play. Six minutes later, Sydney Kirby hit one in off a saved shot for a 3-2 Princeton lead.

Maryland called timeout with 18:33 to go. After their talk with Meharg and the coaching staff, the Terps picked up their pressure on both ends of the ball to create more opportunities.

With 5:16 to play, Meharg pulled Natalie Hunter out of the goal to put in Colleen Gulick as an extra field player. Less than 30 seconds after going in, Gulick was given a card and the Terps were back to being a player down. They controlled much of the final five minutes, but were unable to tie it up.

Princeton outshot the Terps, 12-11, but Maryland had six penalty corners to the Tigers' five. Princeton's goalkeeper Christina Maida registered seven saves, five in the second half, while Hunter had four.

Next, the Terrapins will welcome No. 24 Duke (5-7, 0-3) to College Park next Saturday at 1 p.m. Admission is free, but due to a 3:30 p.m. home football game, fans will be charged $15 to park in the lots surrounding the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex. Fans are encouraged to park in the Terrapin Trail Garage, which is next to the Comcast Center. For parking map, click here.