Sept. 14, 2012
Hello Terp Nation:
We have a very exciting upcoming weekend and also a great deal to be proud of as we enter the third week of September.
I want to first personally thank our fans, students, alumni and donors for your continued support and commitment to Maryland athletics. You provided our football team tremendous support and encouragement during our season opening win against William & Mary and our players fed off your energy and enthusiasm.
After the game, Coach Edsall shared with me how appreciative he was that the student section stayed and supported us until the very end.
We are counting on your continued support and your passion for our Terps during our home game on Saturday against the Connecticut Huskies.
The overwhelming positive feedback and genuine enthusiasm that we have received from each of you has been invaluable. Attend any of our sporting events on our campus and you can feel the energy and passion our fans have for our student-athletes.
Over 6,500 fans turned out for our men's soccer match against UCLA a couple of weeks ago. It marked our sixth-highest crowd in school history and our wonderful student supporters -- the Crew -- introduced this impressive section-wide tifo in honor of head coach Sasho Cirovski, who is celebrating his 20th anniversary with the Maryland soccer program. The tifo features Cirovski's head on the Maryland state flag, with the words "Welcome to Ludwig" underneath.
Check out this remarkable photo.
Academics and Athletics
- Our vision is to be the best intercollegiate athletics program while producing graduates who are prepared to serve as leaders in the local, state and global communities. Maryland student-athletes truly epitomize the term student-athlete as they prove day-in and day-out that they can be successful in both athletics and the classroom. In 2011-12, the student-athlete cumulative GPA increased in both the Fall and Spring semesters while Maryland posted an all-time high institutional Graduate Success Rate (GSR) of 82 percent, marking the second straight year the campus has set a school record. Forty-eight (48) student-athletes earned perfect semester GPAs of 4.00 and 139 Terrapins earned a 3.50 or higher. In addition, 281 Maryland student-athletes received a semester GPA of 3.00 or better, 262 Terrapins were nominated for the ACC Honor Roll and 113 were named to the Dean's Lists for their respective colleges.
Our `Why' is our student-athletes
- Earlier this week, I wrote a column in the Diamondback on our reason "Why" we are passionate about collegiate athletics. It is about our `Why' - our student athletes. I am also proud to recognize our 10 programs (women's basketball, men's and women's soccer, men's and women's lacrosse, women's golf, field hockey, gymnastics, softball and wrestling) that qualified for NCAA postseason play last year.
Anniversary, Honors and Recognition
- Congratulations and a Happy 25th Anniversary to Field Hockey head coach Missy Meharg. The Terps will honor Coach Meharg prior to Friday's game against Boston College at 7 p.m. Fan and alumni are encouraged to arrive early and wear black to support their "Blackout" game. Under Meharg's direction, Maryland has won seven national championships en route to 437 career victories with the Terrapins. Continued Success Coach!
- Maryland men's soccer, which has started the season 4-0-1, is ranked No. 1 in the Soccer America poll. Sasho Cirovski's squad has shutout three nationally-ranked opponents this season and will play its first ACC match on Friday at NC State.
- Coming off an impressive 2-1 win over No. 6 North Carolina on Thursday, the women's soccer team plays host to ACC foe Clemson on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. at Ludwig Field. Head coach Jonathan Morgan's Terps posted their third straight win over the Tar Heels. It marks the first-time ever that UNC has lost three consecutive games to the same opponent in three successive seasons.
- Wrestling head coach Kerry McCoy will serve as an at-large member of USA Wrestling's Board of Directors. McCoy was voted onto the board in an election held in Colorado Springs, Colo., on Aug. 25. McCoy will also be a member of the governing body's Executive Committee and is the only active Division I head coach on the Board of Directors.
We are thinking and rooting for you ....
- Though you are not on campus this weekend, we wish our Terps on the road safe travels and the best of luck!
Men's golf participating in the Tar Heel Intercollegiate in Chapel Hill. N.C.
Women's golf competing in the Cardinal Cup in Simpsonville, Ky.
Women's cross country racing at the Navy Salty Dog Invitational in Annapolis, Md.
Women's volleyball playing in the Blackbird Invitational in Brooklyn, N.Y.
Come Say Hello at Terp Town!
- At big part of the excitement surrounding Maryland Football this Saturday will take place at "Terp Town."
Come join us for this ultimate gameday experience at Terp Town! Festivities include live musical performances, several food vendors and food trucks, street teams roaming the parking lots and a new express shuttle service providing convenient transportation from the Comcast Center parking lots to Terp Town.
We look forward to visiting with our alumni, students, fans and supporters at every game. College gamedays are always a special occasion and we believe Terrapin fans will enjoy the new and improved experience we offer this fall.
Let us know as I, along with our athletic department staff, will be walking around Terp Town and the parking lots very interested in your thoughts, suggestions and feedback! We want to make this the ultimate gameday experience and continue to make this a very welcoming place for families, too!
See you on campus ... Go Terps!