Oct. 5, 2012
It has been an exciting and productive first month of the new academic and athletic calendar year both on and off the field for Maryland athletics.
During the month of September, we unveiled our new strategic plan: The Maryland Way and also featured three teams ranked in the top 10 in their respective sports.
- In announcing our new five-year strategic plan, The Maryland Way, our focus is to create the best intercollegiate athletic program for our student-athletes and all others who are touched by athletics at Maryland.
- Our first step was to ask why are we committed to intercollegiate athletics?
- We are passionate about providing our student-athletes with an experience that will help them become outstanding leaders. The resources and commitment of the University of Maryland support our efforts to educate and develop our student-athletes. They are our `WHY': the reason we come to work each and every day.
- The launch of the strategic plan marked the end of a year-long process that involved hundreds of individuals from the athletic department, campus, supporters and community. The committees worked to identify innovative ways to help the department build on its mission and achieve the vision the entire department has embraced.
- Every staff member has made a commitment to rely on our core values, The Maryland Way, each day. The Maryland Way has been defined to mean that every person associated with the athletics department will demonstrate Maryland Pride each day by being: Passionate, Responsible, Innovative, Determined and Excellent.
- This is an important milestone for our department. All units will be engaged this fall to develop actionable plans to ensure we keep our `WHY' at the center of all of our decisions and actions.
- The Maryland Way strategic plan will shape our efforts to perpetuate a legacy that will support our university, community and state. Please click this link. We welcome and appreciate your feedback.
Success on the Field
On the field, we continue to excel as three current programs are ranked in the top 10. Our goal is to continue to build and improve upon last year's 27th place finish in the Learfield Sports Directors' Cup standing.
- Men's soccer, led by head coach Sasho Cirovski, is ranked No. 1 in the country and has an unbeaten record of 8-0-1 overall and 3-0 ACC. Maryland plays host to league rival Virginia in a nationally-televised contest on Fox Soccer Channel on Friday evening at Ludwig Field.
- Women's soccer, ranked No. 9 in the country, is atop the ACC standings with an impressive 9-3-2 overall record and 4-1-1 in ACC. First-year head coach Jonathan Morgan's squad will play at NC State on Sunday at 1:00 p.m. The match is available on the ACC Regional Sports Network and WatchESPN.com.
- Field hockey head coach Missy Meharg and her fifth-ranked Terrapins (8-3 overall, 2-1 ACC) host No. 24 Duke on Sunday at 1:00.p.m. at the Field Hockey & Lacrosse Complex.
- Andrew Valmon and his women's cross country squad faced its strongest competition yet last weekend at the Paul Short Invitational in Lehigh, Pa. The Terrapins responded to the challenge, posting their best performances of the season. Overall, Maryland placed 25th out of 70 teams.
- The Maryland volleyball team, under the direction of Tim Horsmon, is off to a strong start this season (10-6, 2-3 ACC). Over the first month, the Terps won two pre-conference tournaments (Blackbird Invitational and Villanova Classic). This weekend, the Terrapins play two road matches at Duke on Friday at 7:00 p.m., and at Wake Forest on Saturday at 5 p.m.
- Sean Bosdosh, of the Maryland men's golf team, shot a final-round 71 to finish with a 4-under 212 and capture the individual title at the VCU Shootout on September 24-25. For his outstanding performance, Bosdosh was honored as our Solomon Eye Associates Terp of the Week. Kudos to Bosdosh and head coach Jason Rodenhaver for this tremendous accomplishment.
- Juliet Vongphoumy, of the Maryland's women's golf team, shot an even-par 213 (71-69-73) to finish third individually and propel the Terps to a second-place team finish at the Starmount Classic in Greensboro, N.C.
Maryland Athletics Hall of Fame
On behalf of the athletics department and the M Club, we are thrilled to recognize the eight outstanding alumni who have been selected for the Class of 2012 for induction to the University of Maryland Athletics Hall of Fame.
Men's basketball player Juan Dixon, former coaches Tom Bradley (baseball) and Cindy Timchal (women's lacrosse), football player Paul Vellano, field hockey player Carla Tagliente and women's lacrosse players Jen Adams and Sarah Forbes will be inducted on Friday at a ceremony at Riggs Alumni Center. Longtime M Club fundraiser Leonard Rodman will be inducted for meritorious service. In addition, Terrapin football alumnus Tim Brant will receive the M Club's Distinguished Citizen of the Year Award. Brant, a former linebacker at Maryland, has continued to be involved in collegiate athletics as the sports director at WJLA-TV in Washington and as a play-by-play announcer for the ACC Network.
I am also looking forward to the football game's coin toss, when Paul and Joe Vellano step out on the field together and share this unforgettable moment. The Vellanos are the first father-son football All-America selections in Maryland and ACC history (Paul earned his All-America honors in 1973 while Joe did so in 2011).
Congratulations to our Class of 2012 on this very well deserved honor!
- We are anticipating our biggest crowd of the season for our ACC opener against Wake Forest. Kickoff is on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. We are coming off our bye week and are expected to be relatively healthy after battling injuries throughout the season's first four games. Those injuries have played a part in our team seeing 12 true freshmen take to the field, which ranks the ninth-most in the Football Bowl Subdivision. Our young student-athletes have responded and made tremendous strides in a very short period of time. We need you, your family, friends, neighbors and co-workers there to help us fill Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium. It should make for an exciting atmosphere on Saturday as the game is a part of our annual Family Weekend.
- Before heading into Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium fans are encouraged to enjoy the ultimate gameday experience at Terp Town. Located at the Samuel Riggs IV Alumni Center, Terp Town opens at 12:30 p.m.
- Terp Town features live musical performances, several food vendors and food trucks, street teams roaming the parking lots, games and activities and a new express shuttle service providing convenient transportation from the Comcast Center parking lots to Terp Town.
- We are committed to making Terp Town the ultimate game day experience for our fans. The atmosphere at Terp Town and in our parking areas continues to evolve and improve. We are excited that our fans can enjoy live entertainment and expanded food options in addition to all of the traditional game day activities prior to kickoff.
- Attached is a great link of the fun activities at Terp Town ... Hope to see you there!
- We look forward to you joining us for Maryland Madness on Friday, October 12 at 7:00 p.m. at Comcast Center. Come early as doors open at 6:00 p.m. We appreciate all of your support for our men's and women's basketball programs. Maryland Madness will be highlighted by introductions of the 2012-13 Terps men's and women's basketball teams, along with head coaches Mark Turgeon and Brenda Frese, and their respective team scrimmages. Other festivities include a student slam dunk contest - which will be judged by former Terps basketball and football players -- and performances by the spirit squad, dance team and pep band.
Congratulations to the following student-athletes for their outstanding accomplishments
- Freshman wide receiver Stefon Diggs was named ACC Rookie of the Week after his terrific performance at West Virginia.
- Women's soccer junior forward Hayley Brock earned ACC Player of the Week honors for two consecutive weeks in the month of September. Brock has notched a goal in four of Maryland's five ACC matches and leads the league in goals scored in conference matches with five.
Lots of exciting news to share .... Best of luck to all of our student-athletes, coaches and support staff this weekend! I look forward to seeing all of our passionate supporters on campus for this special weekend!