No. 25 Terps Out Of ACC Tournament After 1-0 Loss To No. 19 FSU

Nov. 7, 2003

Box Score| Notes| Photo Gallery

CARY, N.C. - Maryland's chance at its first ACC Tournament title game since 1997, came to an end on Friday night with a 1-0 loss to 19th-ranked/No. 2 seed Florida State at SAS Soccer Stadium in the ACC Women's Soccer Semifinals.

The No. 25 Terps fell to 11-8-1 overall and are hopeful of their eighth NCAA Tournament bid in nine years. The NCAA Tournament bracket will be released on Monday, Nov. 10 at 4 p.m., and be televised live on ESPNEWS.

Florida State moved to 13-6-1 overall and will take on the winner of No. 1/No. 1 seed North Carolina/No. 4 seed Duke, on Sunday at 1:30 p.m.

Florida State scored the game's only goal as Kelly Rowland headed home a long free kick from Katie Beal to put the Seminoles ahead in the 63rd minute.

The game was relatively even for the first 20 minutes as Maryland's Ali Andrzejewski recorded both shots which were stopped by FSU keeper Joy McKenzie.

Mallory Mahar had a golden opportunity to score as she booted a ball from the top of the box, but was stopped by McKenzie 22 minutes into the first half.

Florida State had a few opportunities with 11 minutes left in the first half, but the Terp defense stayed strong fending off the Seminole pressure.

Andrzejewski had a golden chance with 7:42 left in the first half but shot the ball just over the crossbar on a great thru ball.

Lauren Krasko left the game just 10 minutes into the action as she suffered a sprained left ankle and was replaced by Lindsay Niehaus.

In the second half, Florida State came out strong as Leah Gallegos had a breakway that was blocked to the right side of the goal by Kristen Barnhill just two-and-half minutes into the period. Then Gallegos had another chance but her header went high over the goal a minute later. Gallegos continued with the pressure as she took the first four shots of the second half, all within the first seven minutes, but Barnhill and the Terp defense were up to the task.

Florida State took that 1-0 lead in the 63rd as Rowland headed in Beal's free kick.