Resnick Ties Ludwig Field Save Record In Terps' 0-0 Tie With Duke

Oct. 14, 2006

Complete Results

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Nikki Resnick tied her own record for saves in a game at Ludwig Field against Duke on a blustery Saturday afternoon in College Park and the Maryland women's soccer team needed every one of her 14 saves to battle to a 0-0 tie with the Blue Devils.

"At this stage of the season we need wins to help our cause and not getting a win tonight is tough," said Maryland head coach Brian Pensky. "Yet, at the same time, our effort continues to be outstanding and there's no question our team deserved at least a point tonight.

Resnick was busy right off the bat in the first half as Duke set a blistering pace for the match. The Blue Devils got off three shots in the first five minutes of play. Resnick already made four of her seven first-half stops before Maryland got their first real scoring opportunity. The fourth save proved to be a big one though.

Duke midfielder Lorraine Quinn, who proved to be a thorn in Maryland's side all afternoon, weaved her way through the center of the Terrapin defense in the 16th minute, dribbling the ball past several Maryland defenders. Quinn wound up on the right side of the Terps' 18-yard box and was one-on-one with Resnick, who came off of her line and made a brilliant sliding save, robbing Quinn of a goal.

The Terps answered back with a dangerous opportunity of their own in the 20th minute of action. Junior forward Kelly Rozumalski ran on to a ball in the far left corner of the Blue Devil defensive third. The Middleburgh, N.Y., native laced a shot with her right foot that bent back toward the Duke goal. It seemed like Blue Devil keeper Allison Lipsher was prepared for a crossing attempt, but recovered enough to get her hands on Rozumalski's bender. Lipsher bobbled the ball, dropping it to the ground where it nearly trickled in for a Terrapin score, but the junior goalkeeper was able to scoop it back before it crossed the goal line.

The second half started with more pressure from the Blue Devils, but it was Maryland that would provide the first true scoring opportunity of the period.

Freshman midfielder Emily Maynard, who played all 110 minutes in just her second game back after missing five games due to injury, threaded a through-ball to Rozumalski as she raced down the left center of the field. Rozumalski's shot was deflected wide of the goal, setting up a corner kick in the 49th minute. Sophomore Kaila Sciascia sent the corner into the Duke box, where the Terps would get three successive shots off with one being blocked, the second going off of the right post and the third sailing to the right of the goal.

Resnick stopped four shots in the second half, giving her 11 through 90 minutes, but was never truly tested. The Blue Devils had several dangerous free kicks following Maryland fouls, but the Terrapin defense and Resnick were able to ward each of them off.

The Blue Devils saw that Resnick was tested early in the first overtime however. In the 92nd minute Duke midfielder Rebecca Moros took a shot from the far right side of the Maryland 18-yard box that was headed for the left side of the Terrapin goal. It seemed as if Moros had the game's Golden Goal, but Resnick dove to her right, stretching all of her 5-4 frame to get a piece of the ball, knocking it off line and out of harms way.

The second overtime started much differently for the Terps, as they went on the offensive as soon as the referee blew his whistle. Maryland got the ball on the left wing where it was passed the junior midfielder Shelley McDuff in the middle of the field about 30 yards out. McDuff tried to find Maureen Dowling as the freshman midfielder was making a run down the left center of the Duke defense. That pass was deflected, setting up a corner kick for the Terps and shifting momentum back to Maryland.

Sciascia took the corner and the ball eventually ended up at about 35 yards out in the center of the field, where Duke was called for a handball, giving Maryland a free kick. Senior co-captian Ashly Kennedy struck a good ball at the Blue Devil net, but it kept rising and sailed over the crossbar by no more than 18 inches.

Duke recovered from the Terps' pressure and finished the game with a flurry of five corner kicks in the final five minutes of play. Resnick had already made 14 saves, but Maryland's defense was not about to allow a shot to get through to the Boca Raton, Fla., native. On their five corner kicks Duke was only able to muster three shot attempts. The first, a header by defender Sara Murphy, sailed wide. The second, by midfielder Darby Kroyer, was blocked. It was Murphy again with the third attempt, but that effort too was wide of the Terrapin goal.

While the result was not what Pensky hoped for, he could not be prouder of his team following the game.

"While we've have a tough stretch results wise, we continue to feel great about how hard we are playing and how determined these players are to make a run at the ACC Tournament. This tie keeps that alive for us. This game was our fourth in the past 10 days and now we're excited to have a few days to recover and prepare for Virginia Tech on Friday."

Maryland returns action on Friday, October 20 against the Virginia Tech Hokies. That game is slated for a 5:00 p.m. start in Blacksburg, Va.