Terps Top Loyola With Big Second Half

Sept. 1, 2009

Final Stats

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Five second half goals, two from sophomore Sade Ayinde in a span of 2:30, propelled the University of Maryland women's soccer team to a 5-2 victory over Loyola Tuesday night at Ludwig Field.

The Terps (4-0) entered the second half of play down 1-0, but their spirits were high, knowing that despite trailing the Greyhounds they outplayed Loyola (2-2) during the opening 45 minutes. The Greyhounds were ahead thanks to an unassisted goal by Theresa Ferraina in the 12th minute, but Maryland outshot Loyola 13-2 in the first half.

Once the second half started it didn't take the Terps long to go on the offensive. Ayinde's first goal came in the 51st minute off a rebound that she finished into the lower left corner of the Greyhound goal. Sophomore Jasmyne Spencer cross the ball from the far right corner to sophomore Lydia Hastings, who got on the end of it and laced a shot that Loyola goalkeeper Brittany Henderson got a piece of, but couldn't contain. The ball then bounced in front of the Loyola goal where Ayinde finished the chance.

Maryland took its first lead of the game less than a minute later when freshman Danielle Hubka scored her first collegiate goal on a 30-yard shot into the upper right 90.

But that lead was short lived. The Greyhounds answered back in the 52nd minute to knot the score at 2-2. Loyola played a long ball into the Terrapin defensive third and created a scoring chance by drawing a foul. Maryland goalkeeper Mary Casey couldn't control the free kick and Christina Gomez was there to finish the rebound.

The scoring flurry wasn't over yet. Maryland answered back in the 53rd minute with Ayinde scoring her second of the night. She possessed the ball inside the Greyhound penalty box, held off a Greyhound defender and beat Henderson, who came off her line to try to intercept the ball, with a quick shot.

After a three minute stretch with four goals being scored the two teams settled things back down, but it was still the Terrapins who were the aggressors. That aggressiveness paid off in the 73rd minute when freshman Caitlin Mooney played a little give-and-go with Ayinde that ended with Mooney finishing the chance into the lower left corner of the Loyola net.

The game appeared to be headed for a 4-2 finish, but sophomore Ashley Gove put a final exclamation point on the decision for the Terps in the 89th minute. Grove took a throw-in from senior Megan Watson on the far left side and struck a brilliant ball from 35 yards out that Henderson had no chance at saving.

"We are so proud of our kids," said head coach Brian Pensky. "We gave up a goal early on and just plugged away. There is a confidence within this team right now that is infectious. Four of our five goals tonight came from kids off the bench. That type of depth is a nice thing to have. Now we prepare for a fun game with Santa Clara on Friday night."

The victory give the Terps their first four-game winning streak since taking four in a row in 2001. The win is also the first time since 2004 that Maryland has won a game that it gave up two or more goals. That victory was a 5-2 decision over South Carolina at the Virginia Soccer Classic in Charlottesville, Va. The last time the Terps won a game at home in which they gave up two or more goals was a 3-2 win over Towson on Sept. 12, 2003.

Maryland will put its unbeaten record on the line against national power Santa Clara on Friday, Sept. 4 in the opening game of a women's-men's soccer doubleheader. The Terps and the Broncos are slated for a 5 p.m. start at Ludwig Field and will be followed by the No. 1-ranked Maryland men's soccer team's season debut against nationally-ranked UCLA.