Wagner's Two Goals Lifts Terps Over #3 UVa

Sept. 27, 2012

Final Stats

COLLEGE PARK, MD. - Senior Olivia Wagner scored twice in the No. 10 University of Maryland women's soccer team's come-from-behind 3-1 win over No. 3 Virginia Thursday night at Ludwig Field.

The victory lifts Maryland's overall record to 8-2-2 and puts the Terps at 4-0-1 in conference play for the first time in the program's 26-year history. With 13 points in the ACC, Maryland is alone at the top the standings. The loss is the first for the Cavaliers since Aug. 17 and puts their season record to 9-2-1. Virginia is now 2-1-1 in ACC action and is tied for third place in the standings with seven points.

"This was an unbelievable comeback by our kids tonight," said Maryland head coach Jonathan Morgan. "UVA is a great team with a lot of quality individuals. Our team never wavered at any point though. Our staff could tell at halftime the girls still believed and were committed to the task.

"Again, I can't single out any particular effort because we received so many great contributions. This group works for each other and as a coach you can't put a price on it."

"Now it's time to prepare for a tough road match against VA Tech," said Morgan.

The Terrapins appeared to take a 1-0 lead in the 12th minute when freshman Ashley Spivey played a long ball over the top of the Cavalier back line, which allowed junior Hayley Brock to run onto it. A Virginia defender was step-for-step with Brock, but it was Brock who got to the ball first. Some contact between the two players gave Brock some space to get off a shot, which she deposited into the right side of the Virginia goal, but the referee waived off the goal and called Brock for a foul.

The game remained scoreless until the 41st minute when Virginia's Kaili Torres gave the Wahoos a 1-0 lead. Torres finished a cross from Danielle Colaprico inside the 18-yard box.

The Cavaliers were able to hold onto the one-goal lead until the 74th minute when a seemingly harmless foul gave the Terps a free kick from nearly 40 yards out. Wagner stepped to the ball and played it into the box where a Virginia defender got to it, but she mistakenly flicked the ball on and past Cavalier keeper Danielle DeLisle to tie the game at a goal apiece.

Overtime seemed likely as the match wore on, but a handball called on Virginia's Caroline Miller gave Wagner another free kick opportunity in the 85th minute and this time there was no doubt about it. From 28 yards out, Wagner rocketed a right-footed shot around the Wahoo wall and bent the ball into the upper left 90. That brilliant shot gave the Terps a 2-1 lead and proved to be the game-winner.

Even with just five minutes remaining the match was hardly over as the Cavaliers boast one of the nation's top scoring offenses and Virginia desperately pressured the Maryland goal. That pressure left the Wahoos open to a counter attack and that's exactly how Maryland tacked on an insurance goal in the 87th minute.

Brock ran down a long ball played down the right side of the field. Knowing she didn't have an angle for a shot, she played the ball back to the top center of the 18 for senior Becky Kaplan. Kaplan couldn't get off a shot and instead of forcing a poor decision, she smartly moved the ball on to senior Danielle Hubka, who made a terrific run down the left alley. Hubka made one move around a defender, got off a solid strike that left DeLisle with no opportunity to make the save and gave the Terps a 3-1 advantage.

Maryland's backline of senior Domenica Hodak, sophomore Shade Pratt and freshmen Shannon Collins and Erika Nelson played brilliantly in front of redshirt freshman keeper Rachelle Beanlands, who finished the match with three saves, allowing just four Cavalier shots on the Maryland goal.

Maryland returns to action on Sunday, Sept. 30 when it hits the road to play at No. 25 Virginia Tech at 5 p.m. at Thompson Field.