Virginia Tech Edges Terps Women's Soccer In Overtime

Oct. 28, 2007

Complete Results

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Nataly Arias scored her team-leading fifth goal of the season, but the Virginia Tech Hokies edged the University of Maryland women's soccer team 2-1 in overtime at Ludwig Field on Sunday evening.

Arias gave the Terps an early 1-0 lead in the 15th minute. Senior co-captain Ashly Kennedy sent a free kick from 40 yards out on the left wing into the Hokie six-yard box. Arias challenged for the ball in the air, but neither team was able to get control. The ball bounced off the turf and Arias was able to direct it into the left side of the Hokie goal off of her right hip.

The game would remain a 1-0 lead for the Terps through the first half, but both teams came out looking to score early in the second period.

Emily Jukich nearly got the Hokies on the board in the 55th minute with a back-heel kick, but her shot deflected off the right post and away from danger. Maryland responded a minute later with a quality chance by junior forward Kimmy Bunting. She worked a brilliant give-and-go with freshman midfielder Caitlin McDowell to get a breakaway on the VT goal. Bunting had Hokie sophomore Robin Chidester, who was an emergency keeper for Tech, beaten, but pushed her shot wide left.

The Hokies finally got on the board in the 60th minute as Jukich tied the game putting home a rebound into the lower left side of the Maryland net. The play began with Marika Gray crossing the ball from the left side to Julian Johnson, who laced a shot at the Terrapin goal. Sophomore Mary Casey, who was making her first career start in goal for the Terps, made a diving save on the shot, but the rebound found Jukich for the finish.

Kennedy nearly gave Maryland a 2-1 lead in the 67th minute when she intercepted an errant Hokie pass near midfield. Kennedy then dribbled through the Hokie defense to the left side of the 18-yard box where she blasted a shot from 16 yards out that sailed wide of the upper right 90 by inches.

Jukich had the final quality chance in regulation in the 82nd minute, nearly putting in another rebound goal. Gray fired a shot that rattled off the crossbar. The rebound bounced right to Jukich, but her shot went over the Maryland goal by less than a foot.

The overtime did not last long as Gray and Johnson hooked-up in the 94th minute for the golden goal. Gray took the ball down the left side of the midfield and crossed the ball to Johnson, who was making a run down the center of the field. The cross was played just in front of Johnson, but she was able to get a step on the Maryland defense and one-time the ball into the left side of the net.

The match got off to a rough start for both squads in the eighth minute of play. Virginia Tech goalkeeper Ashley Owens came out to play a long ball that was sent toward the Hokie 18-yard box. Maryland freshman forward Annesia Faulkner made a run and challenged for the ball as it took a high bounce just outside the VT 18-yard box. The two players collided and both had to be taken off the field. Faulkner returned late in the second half, but only played one minute. Owens did not return for Virginia Tech. Mallory Kimsey replaced Owens, but played only nine minutes before being replaced by Chidester.

Casey was solid for the Terps in goal and finished the match with a career-high seven saves. Chidester, who was playing keeper for the first time in her collegiate career, made four stops for the Hokies.

With the result, Maryland (5-8-3, 0-6-1 ACC) is eliminated from contention for a spot in this year's ACC Tournament. Virginia Tech improved its record to 6-7-3 overall, 2-5-2 in the conference.

Maryland next hosts No. 14 Boston College on Thursday, Nov. 1. That match is slated for a 7 p.m. start at Ludwig Field.