#3 Terps Earn Fifth-Straight Shutout

Sept. 2, 2011

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 

COLLEGE PARK, MD. - The No. 3 University of Maryland women's soccer team earned its fifth-straight shutout to tie the school record with a 2-0 victory over Saint Louis Friday night at Ludwig Field.

The five consecutive shutouts ties the team mark set in 1996 when that squad won five games without allowing a goal from Sept. 22 through Oct. 1.

"Five games and five shutouts, which equals last season's shutout total, we're very proud of that," said Maryland head coach Brian Pensky. "We had some good moments of possession today and created 11 corner kicks. Now our challenge is finishing off either some of those corner kick opportunities or being more dangerous in our other chances. But, there is no question that we'll get there."

Senior goalkeeper Yewande Balogun needed to make just one save to earn the shutout and Maryland's upperclassmen provided the offense.

The first Terrapin goal came in the 14th minute and was the result of some skillful play and outstanding communication.

It started with a corner kick by junior Olivia Wagner that was deflected out of the box by a Billiken defender. Senior Skyy Anderson collected the ball on the right side and played t to the junior Domenica Hodak just outside the 18-yard box.

Hodak skillfully punched the ball over the top of the Saint Louis back line, but junior Danielle Hubka appeared to be offsides on the serve. But, senior Ashley Grove called Hubka off and Hubka never made an attempt at the ball and the officials let the play continue.

That allowed Grove a good run at the ball and she finished cleanly into the lower right corner for the 1-0 Maryland lead.

Hubka didn't go unrewarded and tallied the Terps' insurance goal in the 62nd minute.

That play started with a tremendous individual effort by junior Megan Gibbons, who beat a Billiken defender with a stop-and-go move down the right sideline. She crossed the ball into the box, but it was cleared out by Saint Louis.

Hodak got on the end of the clear and headed it back to redshirt junior Becky Kaplan, who sent the ball to senior Jasmyne Spencer just inside the Saint Louis 18.

Spencer flicked a header forward and Hubka beat Billiken keeper Katie Walsh, who came off of her line, to the ball and finished the opportunity into the lower right corner.

Maryland has a quick turnaround, playing next at Cornell on Sunday. That match is scheduled for an 11 a.m. start.