COLLEGE PARK, Md. – With the initiative of enhancing both the fan and student-athlete experience, the University of Maryland Athletics Department has announced a myriad of enhancements to the gameday atmosphere at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium and in the XFINITY Center for all events this season.
The following enhancements will be featured during fans’ visits to College Park. Athletic programs, which will have full access to these added amenities during competition, include football, men’s and women’s basketball, wrestling, volleyball, gymnastics and men’s lacrosse.
- New LED display upgrades will be featured at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium. Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium will be receiving one large ribbon and one smaller ribbon display, which will incorporate a 15HD pixel layout and provide the opportunity to showcase sponsors, up-to-the-minute statistics and game information
- An additional two message displays, featuring closed captioning, will be installed beneath the east end zone videoboard on the left and right sides of the Gossett Football Team House
- Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium and the XFINITY Center will feature a new video control room to service both venues
- Increased cellular coverage and service with the installation of DAS (Distributed Antennae System) at Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium and the XFINITY Center.
- A new centerhung Daktronic’s videoboard at the XFINITY Center will boast two side displays measuring approximately 12.5 feet high by 33 feet wide and two end displays measuring approximately 9 feet high by 16.5 feet wide
- The videoboard is capable of showing one large image to highlight live video and instant replays and can also be divided into separate windows to show a variety of vivid graphics, colorful animations, up-to-the-minute statistics, scoring information and sponsor advertisements
- Four message displays, featuring closed captioning, will also be installed in the XFINITY Center, one for each corner of the facility
- All of the displays provided by Daktronics will incorporate excellent image clarity and contrast with wide angle visibility to keep all Terp fans immersed in the gameday action. The outdoor displays will also provide multiple levels of protection from the elements
“We are in a highly-competitive marketplace and it is imperative that we continue to provide our fans with one of the best gameday environments in the country,” Maryland director of athletics Kevin Anderson said. “Through our research, the gameday atmosphere must be unique and special and something our fans can’t experience at home. This is an exciting time at the University of Maryland and we look forward to delivering a world-class fan experience in College Park.”
In addition to Terrapin athletic events, Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium and the XFINITY Center play host to graduations, international and special events, national speakers, concerts, and state high school championships.
The enhancements will be funded by general athletic department revenue, which includes ticket sales and sponsorship without the aid of tax, tuition or general university dollars.
Maryland head coaches are in agreement that these new amenities will enhance the fan experience and create an exciting atmosphere for their student-athletes.
“We’ve always had an outstanding home court advantage and with the addition of new amenities, including the videoboard, we will make an outstanding first impression as we embark on our first season in the Big Ten.” – Women’s basketball coach Brenda Frese
“The new videoboard and amenities available is a great addition for both the men’s and women’s basketball programs and is sure to bring our gameday experience to the next level.” – Men’s basketball coach Mark Turgeon
"We're so excited about the new amenities in the XFINITY Center. As a student-athlete, I experienced firsthand the incredible atmosphere that is present in Big Ten wrestling. We will welcome thousands of new fans from around the country this season and these features will greatly enhance their enjoyment of Maryland wrestling." – Wrestling coach Kerry McCoy
“The Big Ten caters to the fan experience at a really high level. When you go into many of the football stadiums and basketball arenas in the Big Ten, they do an unbelievable job of creating an outstanding gameday experience for their fans. I’ve been to all the Big Ten arenas and the XFINITY Center is one of the nicest arenas I’ve seen. It is a fantastic venue for our fans and the addition of a new videoboard and other amenities represents our athletic department’s commitment to the student-athlete and fan experience.” – Volleyball coach Steve Aird
“The new video board is a great addition to our already exciting gameday experience. It will allow us to generate additional energy to our meets and really pump up our fans. I have traveled to many different arenas throughout the country and this videoboard is second to none.” – Gymnastics coach Brett Nelligan