Maryland advanced to the Paradise Jam finals with an 80-66 victory over Northern Iowa last night. The Terps will take on Providence live on CBS Sports Network at 10:00 pm EST.
Watch: CBS Sports Network
Listen: Terrapin Sports Radio Network; Flagships - WJZ-FM (105.7)/WJZ-AM (1300)/570 AM (DC)
Head Coach Mark Turgeon:
- "Providence is a very talented team. They score in a variety of ways. It is a tough matchup for us and it would be a great win for our program."
- "The fans who traveled with us have been fantastic. That is why you come to Maryland because our fans and alumni love basketball. They are terrific."
- "I have never played or coached a game this late - 11:00 pm (10:00 pm EST). It's different. We played yesterday and by having such a late start, we now have enough time to recover. It is advantageous for both team to get additional rest to recover and have the late tip."
• Tonight’s game marks Maryland’s first appearance in an in-season tournament final since 2006, when it captured the 2K Sports Coaches vs. Cancer Classic title with a 62-60 win over Michigan State. The Terps have played in 68 in-season tournaments in program history, garnering an all-time record of 112-51 (.687) with 28 championships and 12 runner-up finishes.
• Maryland meets Providence for just the third time in program history tonight. The Terps were victorious in the last meeting on Dec. 4, 1991 (see pg. 4). Providence kept its unblemished record intact with wins against Vanderbilt and La Salle in the Paradise Jam.
• The Terps authored their most complete second half of the season against UNI last night with nine assists to just two turnovers and a season-high 47 second half points. Dez Wells, who started at point guard, matched his season high with six assists - all coming in the second half. Evan Smotrycz also matched his career-high with 20 points.
• Jake Layman continues his torrid scoring streak, having posted double-figures in all five games to open the season. He ranks third in the ACC in 3-pointers (3.0/g), shooting 50% from beyond the arc.