No. 4 Georgetown Edges No. 9 Maryland, 8-6

April 6, 2005

Box Score |  Photo Gallery

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Fourth-ranked Georgetown outscored No. 9 Maryland 6-2 in the second half to rally past the Terps, 8-6, Wednesday evening at North Kehoe Field in Washington, D.C. Greta Sommers scored a goal and two assists and shut down Georgetown's Coco Stanwick on defense, but the Hoyas managed to keep the Terps off the board in the game's final 23 minutes to complete the comeback.

Sommers helped stake Maryland out to a 3-1 in the first 10 minutes of the game by leading the Terps in transition. Sommers carried the ball up the field before dishing to Katie Doolittle on the first and Jessica Dorney on the next goal. For Maryland's third goal, the Hoya defense failed again to pick up Sommers as she carried the ball into the Terp offensive zone, and Sommers went all the way to the cage to convert for the score.

After Annie Collins connected on a pass to Dorney to put Maryland up 4-1 at the 16:54 mark, the goalies took over the game. Maryland's Kirah Miles made five point-blank saves on Georgetown shots, and the Hoyas' Sarah Robinson made four strong saves to keep Maryland off the board during that span. Georgetown's Lucy Poole broke through for the Hoyas with just over three minutes left in the first half with a free-position goal to cut Maryland's lead to 4-2 going into the half.

Maryland stretched its lead to 6-2 with a pair of goals in the first seven minutes of the second half. Delia Cox finished on a feed from Katie Doolittle, and Acacia Walker used a strong individual effort from just outside the fan to tally the Terps' sixth goal.

From there, Georgetown slowly chipped away at the Maryland lead and stymied Maryland's transition. A Maryland turnover in its on zone sparked the Georgetown momentum as Lauren Redler picked off an errant Terp pass and drove to the cage uncontested for the score. The Hoyas won the ensuing draw and Poole cut the Maryland lead to 6-4 with an unassisted goal at 18:01.

The Terps again failed to control the draw, and after a re-start behind the cage on a missed free-position shot by Allison Chambers, Catherine Elbe found Chambers off the re-start for the score. The Hoyas tied the game at 6-6 after Laryn Bernier used a strong one-on-one move to get past her defender and finish.

Stanwick's lone goal of the game turned out to be the game-winner just 47 seconds after the Bernier tied the game. The Hoyas won the draw and Sarah Oliphant found Stanwick on the one-timer for the score. Stanwick then found Redler unmarked in front of the cage after a re-start for Georgetown's final tally at 3:47.

After taking the lead with over eight minutes left, the Hoyas were successful in keeping the ball out of the Terps' possession. Maryland was only able to take one shot. After surrendering 19 first half shots, the Hoya defense limited Maryland to just eight in the second half.

Sommers finished the game with three caused turnovers and five ground balls, leading the Terps in both of those categories. Dorney chipped in two goals.

Maryland (7-5) will look to bounce back on Saturday, April 9, with a home matchup against No. 12 Johns Hopkins. The first draw will be at 1 p.m. at Ludwig Field in College Park.