Women's Lacrosse Wins OT Thriller Over George Mason

March 16, 2005

Box Score

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Freshman Kelly Kasper scored off her own rebound in the fifth overtime period capping a furious Maryland rally to defeat George Mason, 10-9, Wednesday night. The Terps trailed 7-3 at halftime, but scored six goals in four minutes to climb back into the game. The Maryland defense held the Patriots to just two goals over the game's final 42 minutes to help secure the victory.

"I'm just really proud of the way the team came back," head coach Cindy Timchal said. "They pulled together and showed a lot of guts out there. George Mason played very well, and their goalie was tremendous for them."

The Terps (5-2) actually got out to a quick start, with Jessica Dorney tallying a goal just 16 seconds into the game. Acacia Walker put Maryland up 2-0 at 23:45, but George Mason (1-3) closed the half on a 7-1 run. Tracy Watterson helped key the Patriot run with two goals and two assists.

Maryland climbed back into the game quickly in the second half with six straight goals in a span of 3:12. The Terps did not relinquish possession during that span as Casey Magor helped Maryland win seven straight draws. Katie Doolittle and Brooke Richards each netted a pair during that run, and Magor and Delia Cox also found the net as the Terps held a 9-7 lead with 26 minutes left.

GMU's Laura King made it a one-goal game on a score assisted by Kristy Manas at 19:32 before the defenses took over the game. Patriot goalie Meg Dentler kept the Terps off the board with seven second half saves. The Maryland defense, led by Megan Sommar and Greta Sommers, allowed just five George Mason shots in the second half. Kirah Miles stopped a pair of point-blank saves.

Kristy Manas knotted the score at 9-9 with just 1:20 left in the game to send the game into overtime. The Patriots won the opening draw of the first overtime period, but Magor quickly caused a turnover and scooped up the ground ball starting a Maryland possession. Dentler saved a Richards shot, but GMU could not get down the field to start a possession. In the second overtime session, GMU again won the opening draw but Alex Valesz' shot sailed high and Greta Sommers was in position for the ground ball. Maryland had two more chances in the overtime period, but Dorney's shot was wide and Delia Cox's shot was saved by Dentler.

The Terps forced Dentler to make three saves in the third overtime session but could not get the game-winner. Each team had one possession in the fourth overtime, but the opposing goalies each registered a save.

Annie Collins won the draw in the fifth overtime to start the Maryland possession. Kasper broke free in front of the net and got a shot off just outside the crease, but it was stopped by Dentler. The ball came back to Kasper and she scooped it up and put the ball in the net for the game-winner before Dentler could get back into position. Kasper also had an assist in the game for two points.

Maryland held GMU to just two goals over the final 42 minutes, and the Patriots had just two shots in the five overtime periods. Terp goalie Kirah Miles made five saves on the game.

The Terps forced 20 of George Mason's 27 turnovers in the game. Walker led the team with three caused turnovers and grabbed five ground balls.

Maryland will be back in action on Saturday, March 19, on the road at No. 7 Dartmouth. The first draw will be at noon.