Princeton Edges Maryland In Women's Lacrosse, 9-8

May 3, 2006

Box Score

PRINCETON, N.J. - Princeton used a 4-0 run early in the second half to turn a two-goal deficit into a two-goal lead and held on to defeat Maryland, 9-8, in women's lacrosse action Wednesday night at the Class of 1952 Stadium. Maryland was led by Delia Cox's three-goal, one-assist performance.

The Terrapins conclude regular season play with a record of 12-7. Maryland, which is ranked sixth in the country in the most recent Inside Lacrosse/Bounce Entertainment poll, will learn its NCAA Tournament fate on Monday, May 8, at 8 p.m.

Princeton out-shot Maryland 28-17 for the game, and took eight more free-position shots than the Terrapins. The Tigers were 3-10 on free-position shots, while Maryland was 0-2. Maryland was also issued four yellow cards in the game, compared to just one for Princeton.

The Terrapins took a 4-2 lead in the first half, with Kelly Kasper playing a part in three of those scores with a goal and two assists. Casey Magor gave Maryland a two-goal lead going into halftime on a score with just :29 seconds left.

Kathleen Miller got Princeton back to within one early in the second half with an unassisted goal in the fourth minute, but the Terps answered quickly on Cox's first goal of the day just :24 seconds later.

Princeton then went on a 4-0 run over seven minutes to surge into the lead. The Tigers won all four of the draw controls in that run, and received goals from four different players.

Trailing 7-5, Kasper won Maryland's second draw of the half, but the Tigers forced a turnover on the Terrapin possession. Allie Buote came up big for Maryland on the defensive end, stopping a shot from Holly McGarvie. Krista Pellizzi converted on Maryland's offensive end with her 43rd goal of the year in the game's 45th minute.

Maryland won the next draw, but turned the ball over. Meghan Higgins caused a turnover on the ensuing Tiger possession, but the Terps were again plagued by an unforced turnover. Allison Murray made the Terps pay with Princeton's third free-position goal of the game.

The two teams traded possessions before Delia Cox pulled the Terps to within one with just under seven minutes remaining. Katie Lewis-Lamonica won the next draw for Princeton, and two minutes later scored what would turn out to be the game-winner in the 56th minute.

After being issued a yellow card at 4:47, Cox scored her 56th goal of the year with just :47 seconds left in the game to make it 9-8. Princeton, though, won the final draw control of the game and managed to hold onto the ball and run out the clock to hold on for the win.

Buote finished the game with six saves, and Becky Clipp led the Terps with three caused turnovers.