No. 10 Hopkins Stuns No. 7 Terps In OT 8-7

April 14, 2007

Complete Results |  Photo Gallery 

COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The seventh-ranked University of Maryland men's lacrosse team rallied from a two-goal deficit in the fourth quarter to send the game into overtime, but All-American Paul Rabil gave No. 10 Johns Hopkins the stunning 8-7 victory Saturday night at a rain-soaked Chevy Chase Bank Field at Byrd Stadium.

The first period proved even with both teams picking up a single goal. Maryland opened up a 2-1 lead a minute and a half into the second period on Adam Sear's sixth goal of the season.

But the lead was short-lived as the Blue Jays would go on a three-goal run, the first two coming on unassisted goals by Austin Walker, to take a 4-2 advantage into halftime.

The Terps refused to go quietly however and responded with their own three-goal run in the third to take a 5-4 lead. Senior co-captain Chris Feifs started and ended the run with two of his career-high three goals on the evening. Senior All-America candidate Michael Phipps' lone goal of the game was sandwiched between Feifs' pair. All three goals came on low skip shots from the right wing.

That lead disappeared quickly as Hopkins' Kevin Huntley capitalized on a Maryland penalty 20 seconds later to knot the score at 5-5. That was the beginning of another three-goal run by the Blue Jays that was capped by another Huntley man-up goal at the 13:22 mark of the fourth quarter.

Jeremy Sieverts started the Terrapin comeback with a brilliant individual effort with just over nine minutes remaining. The sophomore midfielder dodged around his defender to the left alley and drilled a quick shot over Blue Jay goalie Jessie Schwartzman's right shoulder to pull Maryland to within a goal.

The Terps tied the game less than three minutes later when Feifs converted on a man-up opportunity from the right wing off of a strong skip pass from Phipps.

The two teams waged a tough physical game over the final seven minutes of regulation, but neither was able to get another score. Maryland looked for one last shot as the clock was winding down, but Hopkins was able to force a turnover with 12 seconds remaining. Stephen Pyser got off a hard shot as the clock ticked down to zero, but freshman goalie Brian Phipps made one of his eight saves on the game to preserve the tie and send the game into overtime.

That's where Rabil, who was 0-of-5 shooting in regulation, sent Hopkins home with the 8-7 win 43 seconds into the extra session.

Defensively Maryland got tremendous play from senior All-Americans Steve Whittenberg and Ray Megill. Whittenberg, who held Hopkins' leading scorer Steven Boyle to no goals and just one assist, caused three Blue Jay turnovers. Megill caused a pair of turnovers and picked up three groundballs. Senior All-America candidate Ryan Clarke turned in a solid effort with four groundballs and three caused turnovers.

Maryland returns to action at Penn next Saturday for a 1 p.m. contest at Franklin Field.

Game Notes:
• With today's 8-7 loss Maryland is now 63-38-1 all-time vs. Johns Hopkins.

• With two assists Max Ritz now has 24 multi-point games in his career.

• The two-point game is also Ritz's 13th-straight game with multiple points.

Michael Phipps pushed his point-scoring streak to 13 games with his three-point effort.

• Phipps now has 21 multi-point games and 10 multi-assist games in his career.