Defense Dominates Irish as Terps' Men's Lacrosse Advances With 7-3 Win

May 10, 2009

Complete Results

SOUTH BEND, Ind. - A dominating defensive performance, including nine saves by junior goalie Brian Phipps, led the University of Maryland men's lacrosse team to a 7-3 victory over previously unbeaten Notre Dame in the first round of the NCAA Men's Lacrosse tournament at Alumni Field on Sunday afternoon.

The Terps (10-6) got some good luck early as they jumped out to an early 2-0 lead. Senior Jeremy Sieverts tallied the first goal of the day, burying a bouncer from eight yards out from the center of the goal. The luck really kicked in on the second goal as junior Will Yeatman found a cutting Joe Cummings on the right side of the crease. The freshman got off a good shot that bounced off the body of Irish goalie Scott Rodgers and trickled into the Notre Dame goal.

The Irish cut the lead down with their first goal at the 10:22 mark as Zach Brenneman scored on a runner from the left side.

Maryland opened the second quarter with a slick two-man goal to push the lead back to a pair. Sophomore Ryan Young raced around the right side of the goal and slipped a pass to sophomore Grant Catalino, who rolled around the left side and stuck a shot into the top right corner for a 3-1 Terrapin lead.

The Terps got a boost from their third midfield with 5:11 in the second quarter when sophomore Warren Hansen fired a pass to the left alley where junior Adam Sear ripped a laser into the right side of the Irish net for a 4-1 Maryland advantage.

The third quarter started just like the first two with the Terps scoring early. This time it was senior Dan Groot finding the back of the Irish goal with a low-and-away lefty shot to build the lead to 5-1 in favor of Maryland.

The third midfield struck again to give Maryland a five-goal advantage with 10 minutes left in the third. Senior Rob Morrison took a pass from Young on the right alley and laced a sidearm shot stick-side past Rodgers.

The long scoreless stretch for the Irish, which spanned 30:47, finally was snapped by an unassisted goal by Peter Christman with 3:51 left in the third, but the Terps stymied the Notre Dame push and headed into the fourth quarter with a 6-2 lead.

The lead grew back to five with less than two minutes into the fourth. The Notre Dame defense was busy trying to adjust to Maryland's substitutions and lost track of Groot, who cut to the crease and one-timed a pass from Yeatman for his second goal of the day.

Notre Dame refused to give in and tried to climb back into the game with a goal by Grant Krebbs with 7:38 left. But a standout performance by Phipps in goal and a dominating performance for the Maryland defense preserved the victory for the Terps. Sophomores Brett Schmidt and Max Schmidt combined for six groundballs and a pair of caused turnovers, while junior Dan Halayko had three groundballs.

Next up for the Terps will be the winner of the Syracuse/Sienna first round game, which will be played tonight at 7:30 p.m. at the Carrier Dome in Syracuse, N.Y. Maryland will make its 29th quarterfinal appearance against the winner of that game at Hofstra's James M. Shuart Stadium on Saturday, May 16.

Game Notes:
• With today's 7-3 win Maryland is now 4-0 all-time vs. Notre Dame and 2-0 all-time vs. the Irish in NCAA tournament play.

• Sophomore Ryan Young, with two assists, now has 23 multi-point and 10 multi-assist games in his career.

• Senior Dan Groot, with two goals, now has 26 multi-point and 13 multi-goal games in his career.

• The Maryland defense held Notre Dame scoreless for 30:47, spanning the first to third quarters. It was the eighth time this season a Terrapin opponent has been held without a goal for 20+ minutes.

• Maryland shutout the Irish in the second quarter, marking the eighth time this season that the defense has held an opponent scoreless in a quarter.