COLLEGE PARK, Md. -
Maryland (28-19) at VCU (32-12)
Tues., May 6 (6:30 p.m.)
- Maryland enters Tuesday's matchup with VCU fresh off a three-game sweep of Notre Dame. It marked the Terps third conference series win of the season and second sweep of the year. Maryland swept NC State on March 21-23.
- With the three victories, Maryland increased its conference win total to 12. It is the most conference victories by a Terrapin team since 1970, when the Terps won 15 en route to the program's second Atlantic Coast Conference title.
- The Terps' offensive attack against the Fighting Irish was spearheaded by second baseman Brandon Lowe. The Suffolk, Va., native was 5-for-8 (.625) in the series with three doubles, three runs scored and one RBI. Lowe finished with a 1.000 slugging percentage against the Irish and a .750 OBP.
- Lowe currently ranks third in the ACC in hitting with a .350 average and leads the conference in OBP (.478). In the last 10 games, Lowe leads the team in hitting (.452), slugging (.613), OBP (.614), hits (14) and doubles (5).
- In the last 10 contests, the top third of the Terrapin batting order is a combined 37-for-108 (.343) with eight doubles and nine RBI. Behind Lowe's .452 average, LaMonte Wade is hitting .324, while Charlie White is at .275.
- Shortstop Blake Schmit has been on a tear against non-conference pitching this season. The senior is hitting a team-best .382 with nine doubles and 14 RBI.
- The Terrapin pitching staff has totaled 400 strikeouts this season, the fourth-highest total in the ACC, and is averaging 8.70 K/9, which ranks third in the conference. The unit is averaging 8.51 per game and is within striking distance of the single-season team record of 464.
- In 21 non-conference games, Maryland's pitching staff has a 3.00 ERA and is averaging 9.00 strikeouts-per-nine innings while holding opposing teams to a .200 average.
- Maryland and Towson meet at Ripken Stadium in Aberdeen, Md., Wednesday at 7 p.m. to decide the inaugural Ripken Cup. For tickets, contact the Ripken Stadium box office at 410-297-9292.
- Tuesday is the second and final meeting between Maryland and VCU this season. The Terps won game one in College Park, 5-2, on April 1. The Rams still hold a 25-17 all-time advantage over the Terps. But Maryland has won five of the last six meetings between the clubs. Tuesday will be only the third trip for Maryland to Richmond since 2001.
- The Terps split with the Rams at home in 2013 winning game one of the series, 6-5 in 10 innings, and dropping the third and final game, 9-7. In the only game played in Richmond last season, the Terps won 4-3. The three games against the Rams in 2013 were the first between the teams since 2010.
MARYLAND VS. CANCER
- The Maryland baseball team has started its annual fundraiser to raise money for the Vs. Cancer Foundation. Maryland's goal is $20,000. To help the Terps reach their goal, visit maryland.vs.-cancer.org.