COLLEGE PARK, Md. -
Notre Dame (17-27, 4-17 ACC) at Maryland (25-19, 9-14 ACC)
Fri., May 2 (6:30 p.m.) | Sat., May 3 (2 p.m.) | Sun., May 4 (1 p.m.)
Location: College Park, Md.
Stadium: Shipley Field at Bob "Turtle" Smith Stadium
Video: TerpsTV (Sunday) ($)
Live Stats: umterps.com
Live Audio: WMUC Sports (Friday and Saturday)
Probable Pitching Matchups
Game 1 (Friday), 6:30 p.m.: MD - Sr. RHP Jake Stinnett (4-6, 2.92 ERA) vs. ND - Jr. RHP Pat Connaughton (1-4, 5.54 ERA)
Game 2 (Saturday), 2 p.m.: MD - Fr. RHP Mike Shawaryn (7-3, 3.17 ERA) vs. ND - So. LHP Michael Hearne (4-4, 2.34 ERA)
Game 3 (Sunday), 1 p.m.: MD - So. LHP Jake Drossner (4-1, 2.28 ERA) vs. ND - TBA
MARYLAND HOSTS NOTRE DAME IN FINAL HOME SERIES OF THE SEASON
Maryland and Notre Dame will meet for the first time in program history beginning Friday at 6:30 p.m. from Shipley Field at Bob “Turtle” Smith Stadium. Game two of the weekend series is scheduled for Saturday at 2 p.m. with the series finale set for Sunday at 1 p.m.
Sunday will serve as Senior Day. Prior to first pitch, the Terps will honor their seven departing seniors: Ben Brewster, Kyle Convissar, Brady Kirkpatrick, Michael Montville, Jamie Pashuck, Blake Schmit and Jake Stinnett.
- After spending three of four weekends on the road in April, Maryland returns home to take on Notre Dame. The Terps have won 17 of 24 games at Bob “Turtle” Smith Stadium this season and are 6-5 at home in conference play.
- At home, the Terps are averaging 5.4 runs per game compared to 4.5 runs per game on the road. Their batting average is eight points higher at .264 to .256 with a significant jump in OBP (.397 to .345).
- On the mound, Maryland has posted a 2.50 ERA and is holding opposing teams to a .212 batting average. The Terps’ Friday night starter, Jake Stinnett, has a 1.31 ERA at Shipley Field and is averaging 10.5 strikeouts per nine.
- Shortstop Blake Schmit was named to the initial watch list for the 2014 Brooks Wallace Shortstop of the Year Award. Schmit is second on the team with a .298 batting average. The senior has a team-high 11 doubles, one triple and 14 stolen bases.
- Sunday starter Jake Drossner enjoyed a great month of April. The sophomore lefty posted a team-best 1.95 ERA in five starts and averaged 9.4 strikeouts per nine. Drossner issued only six walks in 27-2/3 innings.
- The Terrapin pitching staff ranks as one of the top strikeout units in the nation. The Maryland arms rank third in the ACC and seventh nationally averaging 8.7 strikeouts per nine innings. The unit has 372 Ks this season and is within striking distance of the school record of 464 set in 2010.
- Jake Stinnett leads the pitching staff and is tied for the ACC lead in strikeouts with 94. His total is tied for sixth in the nation and his per nine average (10.58) is tied for 15th nationally.
- Second baseman Brandon Lowe leads the ball club in hitting with a .330 average, eighth best in the ACC, and is batting .400 in ACC play. In April, Lowe hit .439 in conference action with a .519 OBP.
- Friday will be the first all-time meeting between the Terps and the Fighting Irish.
- It will mark Maryland’s third all-time meeting with a school from the state of Indiana. The Terps defeated Purdue, 11-1, in 2012 in the Keith LeClair Classic, and lost to Evansville, 17-5, in 2006 in the Winthrop Challenge.
MARYLAND VS. CANCER
- The Maryland baseball team has started its annual fundraiser to raise money for the Vs. Cancer Foundation. Maryland's goal is $20,000. To help the Terps reach their goal, visit maryland.vs.-cancer.org.