COLLEGE PARK, Md. -
George Mason (22-14) at Maryland (24-15)
Wed., April 23 (6 p.m.)
Probable Pitching Matchup
UMD - R So. LHP Zach Morris (1-0, 1.96 ERA) vs. GMU - So. LHP Evan Porcella (1-0, 4.64 ERA)
- Zach Morris will take the mound Wednesday for the Terps. Morris will be making his sixth appearance of the season for the Terps and his third start. In his last appearance, a start against Navy, Morris earned his first win after holding the Midshipmen to one earned run on five hits over five innings.
- In his two starts, Morris has a 2.89 ERA with opponents hitting .243 against the lefty. On the season, Morris is holding opposing hitters to a .232 average.
- Second baseman Brandon Lowe leads the Terps in hitting with a .330 average, the eighth-best mark in the ACC. Lowe went 8-for-15 (.533) in four games last week to raise his average 35 points. Lowe hit .636 against Georgia Tech over the weekend with two doubles and two RBI. The redshirt freshman went a combined 7-for-7 in the final two games of the series.
- Jose Cuas blasted his team-best fifth home run of the season in Maryland's 7-2 win over the Yellow Jackets Friday. Cuas leads the team in slugging (.466) and total bases (54), and ranks second in doubles (8).
- After going 2-for-3 in Morgantown Tuesday night, Blake Schmit raised his team-leading average in non-conference play to .371. Schmit is also slugging a team-high .348 with nine doubles. Schmit has driven in team-high 14 runs in those contests.
- Two Terps achieved career firsts in Morgantown Tuesday. Catcher Kevin Martir blasted his first career home run, a solo shot to left field, and shortstop Patrick Hisle picked up his first career hit.
- The Terrapin pitching staff boasts a 2.84 ERA and is holding opponents to a .192 average in non-conference action. The Terps have not allowed more than two earned runs in 10 of their last 12 non-conference games. As a staff, the Terps are averaging 9.11 strikeouts per nine innings in non-conference action.
- Tuesday's matchup with the Patriots is the second of two meetings between the clubs this season. Maryland defeated the Patriots 11-0 in Fairfax back on April 8. Mason has won three of the last five meetings in College Park.
- It marks the seventh straight season Maryland and Mason have played with the Patriots holding a slight 26-23 advantage in the all-time series. Maryland and Mason met twice last season with each team picking up a win. The Terps dropped a 3-2 decision in College Park in the first meeting before defeating the Patriots 10-1 at Spuhler Field in game two.
MARYLAND VS. CANCER
- The Maryland baseball team has started its annual fundraiser to raise money for the Vs. Cancer Foundation. Maryland's goal is $20,000. To help the Terps reach their goal, visit maryland.vs.-cancer.org.