CORAL GABLES, Fla. — The Maryland women’s tennis team fell to No. 17 Miami, 6-0, at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center Friday afternoon.
The Terps (4-1, 0-1 ACC) were never able to get on track against the Hurricanes, who easily took the doubles point before sweeping the singles matches.
In doubles, Miami jumped out to big leads in all three matches, eventually taking the point with wins at No. 1 and No. 3. Brittany Dubins and Stephanie Wagner were especially impressive at the third spot, shutting out Olga and Nataliya Bredikhina, 8-0.
Maryland’s fortunes didn’t change in singles. No. 33 Kelsey Laurente set the tone, quickly defeating Kristina Hovsepyan, 6-2, 6-1. Alexandra Stanova put up a decent effort against the nationally ranked Wagner, but ultimately fell, 6-2, 6-4.
The Terps retake the court Saturday against No. 30 Florida State. Action is scheduled to begin at noon.
1. Kelsey Laurente (UM) def. Kristina Hovsepyan (MD) 6-2, 6-1
2. Stephanie Wagner (UM) def. Alexandra Stanova (MD) 6-2, 6-4
3. Lina Lileikite (UM) def. Welma Luus (MD) 6-3, 6-0
4. Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 6-2, 6-1
5. Monique Albuquerque (UM) def. Olga Gaistruck (MD) 6-4, 6-1
6. Melissa Bolivar (UM) def. Olivia Gaudreault (MD) 6-0, 6-3
1. Clementina Riobueno/Monique Albuquerque (UM) def. Kristina Hovsepyan/Welma Luus (MD) 8-1
2. Melissa Bolivar/Kelsey Laurente (UM) def. Alexandra Stanova/Olivia Gaudreault (MD) 7-3
3. Brittany Dubins/Stephanie Wagner (UM) def. Nataliya Bredikhina/Olga Bredikhina (MD) 8-0