April 14, 2013
RALEIGH, N.C - The Maryland women's tennis team was unable to secure a match victory and fell, 7-0, to No. 44 NC State at the Dail Outdoor Tennis Stadium, Sunday afternoon.
Playing their second match in as many days, the Terrapins (5-14, 0-9 ACC) failed to get anything going against the Wolfpack (13-6,), dropping the doubles point before losing all six singles matches in straight sets.
The doubles session got off to a rocky start for the Terps when Maryland's most consistent doubles duo, senior Vroni Van Berlo and freshman Sarah Gealer, lost at No.1 to Tatiana Illova and Joelle Kissell. The Wolfpack locked up the point with Elisha Hande and Nicole Martinez's 8-4 victory over freshmen Olga and Nataliya Bredikhina.
In singles, no Terp was able to win a set as the Wolfpack locked up the match with six singles wins. The Terrapins found their most success in the bottom of the lineup, with freshman Gabriela Srodowski and Nataliya Bredikhina both losing close two set matches.
Maryland will finish off its regular season with two home matches next weekend. The Terps will take on Duke, Friday, with played scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. On Sunday, Maryland will face off with North Carolina at 10 a.m.
1. #50 Joelle Kissell (NCSU) def. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) 6-4, 6-3
2. #112 Tatiana Illova (NCSU) def. Sarah Gealer (MD) 6-4, 6-2
3. Chloe Smith (NCSU) def. Olga Bredikhina (MD) 6-2, 6-2
4. Rachael James-Baker (NCSU) def. Olga Gaistruk (MD) 6-4, 6-4
5. Elisha Hande (NCSU) def. Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 6-3, 7-5
6. Nicole Martinez (NCSU) def. Gabriela Srodowski (MD) 7-5, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1,3,4,2,6,5
1. Tatiana Illova/Joelle Kissell (NCSU) def. Vroni Van Berlo/Sarah Gealer (MD) 8-4
2. Elisha Hande/Nicole Martinez (NCSU) def. Olga Bredikhina/Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 8-4
3. Chloe Smith/Sophie Nelson (NCSU) def. Olga Gaistruk/Gabriela Srodowski (MD) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1,2,3