April 5, 2013
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Senior Sarah Gealer notched their biggest doubles victory of the season, but the Maryland women's tennis team fell, 7-0, to Miami at the Tennis Center at College Park, Friday afternoon.
It was the Terrapins (5-11, 0-6 ACC) fifth straight loss, four of those coming against ranked opponents. The Terps failed to win a singles match for the third straight contest.
"If I was an independent observer who came and just watched a few games, I wouldn't be able tell which player on which side of the net was better," head coach Daria Panova said. "I think their tennis skills are amazing. What they need to work on is; playing as a team and having better confidence. I think that every time we step on the court, we have a chance to win the match because our tennis still is good enough."
The doubles session got off to an inauspicious start when an injury forced Olga and Nataliya Bredikhina to retire at No. 2. Miami then sealed the doubles point through Kelsey Laurente and Melissa Bolivar's 8-3 victory over freshmen Gabriela Srodowski and Olga Gaistruk.
The Terps did salvage a victory from the session, with Van Berlo and Gealer grabbing a win over No. 31 Stephanie Wagner and Lina Lileikite. The victory was the pair's first over a ranked opponent this season and marks Gealer's first ever triumph over ranked opposition.
In singles, Maryland was unable to capitalize on any of the momentum gained from the final doubles match. The Terps did not win a set in the singles portion, as the Hurricanes swept all six contests. Van Berlo did give Wagner, the 104th-ranked player in the country, some trouble, but ultimately fell, 7-5, 6-2, after not being able to execute at key times in both the first and second sets.
Gealer also put in a decent performance, but was overwhelmed by No. 73 Kelsey Laurente, 6-2, 6-3.
The Terrapins return to the court, Sunday, to take on No. 20 Florida State. Play is scheduled to begin from the Tennis Center at College Park at 11 a.m.
1. #104 Stephanie Wager (UM) def. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) 7-5, 6-2
2. #73 Kelsey Laurente (UM) def. Sarah Gealer (MD) 6-2, 6-3
3. Monique Albuquerque (UM) def. Oga Bredikhina (MD) 6-2, 6-4
4. Lina Lileikite (UM) def. Olga Gaistruk (MD) 6-1, 6-0
5. #122 Clementina Riobueno (UM) def Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 6-3, 6-2
6. Melissa Bolivar (UM) def. Gabriela Srodowski (MD) 6-3, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 6, 2, 3, 1
1. Vroni Van Berlo/Sarah Gealer (MD) def. #31 Stephanie Wagner/Lina Lileikite (UM) 8-6
2. Monique Albuquerque/Clementina Riobueno (UM) def. Olga Bredikhina/Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) retired
3. Kelsey Laurente/Melissa Bolivar (UM) def Gabriela Srodowski/Olga Gaistruk (MD) 8-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1