Feb. 12, 2012
PHILADELPHIA, Pa. - The Maryland women's tennis bounced back from a disappointing loss at Princeton Saturday and won nine of 10 matches against Pennsylvania to beat the Quakers, 7-0, Sunday afternoon at Levy Pavilion.
The Terps (3-4, 0-1 ACC) swept singles for the second time this season and won two doubles matches. Junior Vroni Van Berlo and freshman Mikele Irazusta picked up wins for the second time in as many days, while senior Jordan Hansbrough and Irazusta improved to 3-1 at No. 2 doubles.
Following a victory by 28th-ranked sophomore Cristina Stancu, Van Berlo cruised to a 6-4, 6-0, win over Daniela DePaoli, and Irazusta clinched the match for the Terps with a 6-1, 7-5, triumph over Jules Rodin.
Junior Ana Belzunce put the Terrapins up 5-0 with a straight set victory over Stephanie Do. Shortly thereafter, sophomore Welma Luus and Hansbrough closed out the match with two tightly contested wins.
Earlier in the afternoon, Maryland earned the doubles point with victories at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions.
Maryland is back on the court Sunday, Feb. 19 at William and Mary. The match is scheduled for 1 p.m.
No. 41 Maryland 7, Pennsylvania 0
1. Eskenazi/Rodin (Penn) def. No. 37 Luus/Belzunce (MD), 8-4
2. Hansbrough/Irazusta (MD) def. Do/Ion (Penn), 8-1
3. Stancu/Van Berlo (MD) def. DePaoli/Whitfield (Penn), 8-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
1. No. 28 Cristina Stancu (MD) def. Sol Eskenazi (Penn), 6-6 (6-3), retired
2. Ana Belzunce (MD) def. Stephanie Do (Penn), 6-2, 6-3
3. Welma Luus (MD) def. Alex Ion (Penn), 7-6 (5), 1-6, 1-0 (11-9)
4. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) def. Daniela DePaoli (Penn), 6-4, 6-0
5. Jordan Hansbrough (MD) def. Emma Whitfield (Penn), 2-6, 6-2, 1-0 (10-1)
6. Mikele Irazusta (MD) def. Jules Roden (Penn), 6-1, 7-5
Order of Finish: 1, 4, 6, 2, 5, 3
- Terps -