March 31, 2013
ATLANTA - The Maryland women's tennis team failed to win a match, and finished its three game road trip with a 4-0 loss to No. 33 Georgia Tech, Sunday afternoon.
In their second ACC contest is as many days, the Terrapins (5-10, 0-5 ACC) struggled against the Yellow Jackets (9-6, 3-2 ACC), losing the doubles point before taking a three singles defeats. The loss was the Terps fourth straight since defeating Penn.
After a successful doubles performance against Clemson on Saturday, the Terps were unable to find the same form against Georgia Tech. The teams of senior Vroni Van Berlo and freshman Sarah Gealer, and freshmen Olga and Nataliya Bredikhina both lost quickly, giving the Yellow Jackets the doubles point.
Inclement weather moved the singles session indoors during the first sets of play, but the change of scenery didn't help the Terps. Three swift singles defeats sealed the Terrapins' fate, with the rest of the matches left unfinished.
Van Berlo put in another solid performance against a ranked player. Her match with No. 89 Elizabeth Kilborn was knotted at six games apiece in the first set when play was halted.
Maryland returns home next weekend for two ACC contests. On Friday, Miami takes on the Terps, with play scheduled to begin at noon. Sunday sees Florida State comes to town, with action slated to start at 11 a.m.
1. #89 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) vs. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) 6-6, unfinished
2. Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Sarah Gealer (MD) 6-0, 6-1
3. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) vs. Olga Bredikhina (MD) 6-0, 4-3, unfinished
4. Megan Kurey (GT) def. Olga Gaistruk (MD) 6-1, 6-2
5. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 6-1, 6-2
6. Jasmine Minor (GT) vs. Gabriela Srodowski (MD) 7-6, 0-1, unfinished
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 4
1. #67 Kendal Woodard/Megan Kurey (GT) def. Vroni Van Berlo/Sarah Gealer (MD) 8-1
2. Elizabeth Kilborn/Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Olga Bredikhina/Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 8-2
3. Natasha Prokhnevska/Jasmine Minor (GT) vs. Olga Gaistruk/Gabriela Srodowski (MD) 7-5, unfinished
Order of Finish: 1,2