March 30, 2013
CLEMSON, SC - The Maryland women's tennis team won the doubles point, but fell to No. 15 Clemson, 6-1, at the Hoke Sloan Tennis Center Saturday afternoon.
The Terrapins (5-9, 0-4 ACC) won the doubles session for the second time in as many matches, but couldn't capitalize in singles, losing all six contests. With the loss, the Terps dropped to 0-6 on the road in 2013, and have not won a road match since defeating Columbia in New York last season.
In doubles, the Terrapins rallied from a 0-1 deficit to take the point and the lead in the overall match. Following a loss at the No. 3 spot, senior Vroni Van Berlo and freshman Sarah Gealer put the Terps on the board with an 8-4 victory at the No. 1 position.
The sister act of Olga and Nataliya Bredikhina then put the point away with an 8-6 triumph at No. 2 over Yana Koroleva and Romy Koelzer.
The singles session started poorly for the Terrapins with freshman Gabriela Srodowski taking a quick 6-0, 6-0 loss. Things snowballed from there for the Terps, as Clemson used its depth to dominate the singles session. Ani Miao clinched the match for the Tigers with a 6-1, 6-2 victory over freshman Nataliya Bredikhina.
The Tigers represented the highest ranked team the Terps have played this season and trotted out three ranked singles players, Saturday.
The Terps retake the court against No. 33 Georgia Tech, Sunday. Play is slated to begin from the Ken Byers Tennis Complex at 11 a.m.
1. #16 Yana Koroleva (CU) def. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) 6-2, 6-3
2. #42 Liz Jeukeng (CU) def. Sarah Gealer (MD) 6-3, 6-1
3. #49 Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Olga Bredikhina (MD) 6-2, 6-0
4. Romy Koelzer (CU) def. Olga Gaistruk (MD) 6-1, 7-5
5. Ani Miao (CU) def. Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 6-1, 6-2
6. Tristen Dewar (CU) def. Gabriela Srodowski (MD) 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6,3,2,5,1,4
1. Vroni Van Berlo/Sarah Gealer (MD) def. Tristen Dewar/Liz Jeukeng (CU) 8-4
2. Nataliya Bredikhina/Olga Bredikhina (MD) def. Yana Koroleva/Romy Koelzer (CU) 8-6
3. Ani Miao/Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Olga Gaistruk/Gabriela Srodowski (MD) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3,1,2