April 13, 2007
CORAL GABLES, Fla. - The Maryland women's tennis team fell to No. 10 Miami, 7-0, Friday afternoon in a late season Atlantic Coast Conference match held at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. The Hurricanes swept the Terrapins in both singles and doubles play.
The Terps fell to 8-13 on the year, and 1-9 in the ACC, while the Hurricanes improved to 15-5 on the season and 6-3 in the conference.
The nation's top-ranked player, Miami's Audra Cohen, defeated the Terps' Marianne Baker, ranked No. 88, 6-1, 6-0, at the No. 1 singles position. Sophomore Michal Amir lost to No. 14 Laura Vallverdu, 6-1, 6-1, at the No. 2 singles position, while senior Brooke Rogers fell to Audrey Banada, ranked No. 44 nationally, 6-0, 6-1, at the No. 3 slot.
At the no. 4 singles position, freshman Maggie MacKeever dropped her match to Romy Farah, 6-0, 6-0, and fellow freshman Lisa Miller lost to Miami's Caren Seenauth, 6-1, 6-0, at the No. 5 slot. Senior Masha Senic fell to Gina Sabatino, 6-0, 6-1, at the No. 6 spot.
In the doubles portion of the match, Baker and Amir lost to Cohen and Vallverdu, who are ranked No. 23 in doubles nationally, 8-1. Rogers and MacKeever fell to Farah and Seenauth, 8-2. The freshmen duo of Miller and Elyse Steiner lost to Banada and Sabatino, 8-0.
Maryland will stay south, as it heads to Tallahassee to face ACC foe Florida State at noon Sunday to close out the regular season. The Terps will then head to Cary, N.C., for the first round of the ACC Championships on Thursday.
# 10 Miami 7, Maryland 0
1. # 1 Audra Cohen (UM) def. # 88 Marianne Baker (MD) 6-1, 6-0
2. # 12 Laura Vallverdu (UM) def. Michal Amir (MD) 6-1, 6-2
3. # 44 Audrey Banada (UM) def. Brooke Rogers (MD) 6-0, 6-1
4. Romy Farah (UM) def. Maggie MacKeever (MD) 6-0, 6-0
5. Caren Seenauth (UM) def. Lisa Miller (MD) 6-1, 6-0
6. Gina Sabatino (UM) def. Masha Senic (MD) 6-0, 6-1
1. #23 Cohen/Vallverdu (UM) def. Baker/Amir (MD) 8-1
2. Farah/Seenauth (UM) def. Rogers/MacKeever (MD) 8-2
3. Banada/Sabatino (UM) def. Miller/Steiner (MD) 8-0
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,2,3) Singles (4,6,1,5,2,3)