Feb. 23, 2013
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - Senior Vroni Van Berlo's fifth singles victory of the season was not enough as No. 52 Columbia defeated the Maryland women's tennis team, 6-1, at the Tennis Center at College Park Saturday afternoon.
Columbia (2-3, 0-0 Ivy Leauge) jumped on Maryland (3-3, 0-1 ACC) from the start and never let the Terrapins gain any momentum. The Lions easily secured the doubles decision before taking six of seven singles matches. It was Maryland's first home loss of the season.
"We've reached the point where it's not about what the coaches tell them anymore," head coach Daria Panova said. "I've been telling them to have energy and to fight for every point and we didn't have it today. At this point, they need to take it into their own hands... There are some positives here and there, but we have six people on the court. We can't just be happy with one and a half."
The Terrapins never found any footing in doubles as Columbia jumped out to leads at the No. 1 and No. 2 matches. Bianca Sanon and Kanika Vaidya easily defeated Van Berlo and freshman Olga Gaistruk, 8-1. The Lions No. 2 team of Katarina Kovacevic and Tiana Takenaga then dispatched Olga and Nataliya Bredikhina, who were playing their second straight match in the second spot of the lineup.
In singles, all seven Terrapins lost the first set and only Van Berlo was able to climb out of the hole to secure a victory. Gabriele Srodowski fought hard, but couldn't complete her comeback and suffered a 6-4, 4-6, 6-3 loss. Van Berlo gave the Terps their best moment of the day, coming back from a set deficit to defeat Sanon 4-6, 6-4 (10-7).
"I'm proud of Vroni," Panova said. "She has the best record on the team. She's playing at number one, she's a senior and she only played at number four and five last year. I think she was the loudest player on the court today, which is not normal. I'm very proud of her."
Panova made her first singles lineup change of the season in the loss. Nataliya Bredikhina vaulted over Srodowki to take the No. 5 position.
Maryland returns to the court immediately when Richmond comes to College Park for a Sunday tilt. Play is scheduled to being from the Tennis Center at College Park at noon.
1. Bianca Sanon/Kanika Vaidya (CU) defeat Vroni Van Berlo/Olga Gaistruk 8-1
2. Katarina Kovacevic/Tiana Takenaga (CU) defeat Olga Bredikhina/Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 8-3
3. Sarah Gealer/Gabriela Srodowski (MD) vs Crystal Leung/Amy Li DNF 6-6
Order of finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) defeats Bianca Sanon (CU) 4-6, 6-4 (10-7)
2. Kanika Vaidya (CU) defeats Olga Bredikhina (MD) 6-3, 6-0
3. Leung (CU) defeats Sarah Gealer (MD) 7-5, 6-1
4. Katarina Kovacevic defeats Olga Gaistruk (MD) 6-2, 6-3
5. Tiana Takenega (CU) defeats Nataliya Bredikhina (MD) 6-2, 6-2
6. Amy Li (CU) defeats Gabriela Srodowski (MD) 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 5, 3, 1, 6