April 15, 2012
DURHAM, N.C. - The third-ranked Duke Blue Devils won 8 of 10 matches to defeat the Maryland women's tennis team, 6-1, Sunday at the Ambler Tennis Stadium. Junior Ana Belzunce picked up her 16th victory of the year with an upset of 91st-ranked Ester Goldfeld on the No. 2 court.
The Blue Devils earned the doubles point with victories at the No. 1 and 3 positions. Mary Clayton and Monica Gorny knocked off senior Jordan Hansbrough and freshman Mikele Irazusta at No. 3 for the first win of the match. At No. 1, No. 28 Beatrice Capra and Rachel Kahan defeated No. 26 Welma Luus and Belzunce.
Sophomore Cristina Stancu and junior Vroni Van Berlo earned the Terps' lone doubles victory with an 8-4 defeat of Annie Mulholland and Hanna Mar at No. 2.
Duke won the first five singles matches of the afternoon before Belzunce emerged for the Terps (7-15, 1-11 ACC). Belzunce dispatched of Goldfeld in straight sets, 7-5, 6-3 to conclude the match.
Maryland heads to the ACC Tournament this week in Cary, N.C. Play begins Thursday, April 19.
#3 Duke 6, Maryland 1
1. #2 Beatrice Capra (DU) def. #26 Cristina Stancu (MD) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
2. Ana Belzunce (MD) def. #91 Ester Goldfeld (DU) 7-5, 6-3
3. #96 Rachel Kahan (DU) def. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) 6-1, 6-2
4. #71 Mary Clayton (DU) def. Welma Luus (MD) 6-3, 6-3
5. #102 Monica Turewicz (DU) def. Mikele Irazusta (MD) 6-0, 2-1, retired
6. Annie Mulholland (DU) def. Jordan Hansbrough (MD) 6-1, 6-2
1. #28 Beatrice Capra/Rachel Kahan (DU) def. #26 Welma Luus/Ana Belzunce (MD) 8-1
2. Cristina Stancu/Vroni Van Berlo (MD) def. Annie Mulholland/Hanna Mar (DU) 8-4
3. Mary Clayton/Monica Gorny (DU) def. Jordan Hansbrough/Mikele Irazusta (MD) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,3,4,6,1,2)
- Terps -