April 8, 2012
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The No. 73 Maryland women's tennis team rallied from a 2-0 deficit with wins at No. 2, 4 and 5 singles Sunday afternoon, but NC State won a third-set tiebreak at No. 3 singles to secure a 4-3 victory over the Terps at the Cole Field House Tennis Courts. All three sets in junior Vroni Van Berlo and Ashley Miller's match featured a tiebreaker.
Sophomore Welma Luus started the Maryland comeback after NC State won the doubles point. Luus won her third consecutive match with a 6-0, 3-6, 6-0 victory over Chloe Smith at No. 4 to pull the Terps (7-12, 1-8 ACC) within one point.
At No. 5, freshman Mikele Irazusta rebounded from a first-set loss and dispatched of Christy Sipes, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2 to tie the match at two.
Junior Ana Belzunce snapped a four-match losing streak and defeated Tatiana Illova at No. 2 in straight sets to give the Terps a 3-2 lead.
No. 37 Joelle Kissell bested No. 31 Cristina Stancu at No. 1 in three sets to tie the match for the second time, and the Wolfpack wrapped up the victory with Miller's 7-2 tiebreak win in the final set against Van Berlo.
The Terps final two regular-season matches are Saturday, April 14 at No. 8 North Carolina, and Sunday, April 15 at No. 3 Duke.
NC State 4, #73 Maryland 3
1. #37 Joelle Kissell (NCSU) def. #31 Cristina Stancu (MD) 3-6, 7-5, 6-3
2. Ana Belzunce (MD) def. Tatiana Illova (NCSU) 6-2, 7-5
3. Ashley Miller (NCSU) def. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) 7-6 (7-3), 6-7 (4-7), 7-6 (7-2)
4. Welma Luus (MD) def. Chloe Smith (NCSU) 6-0, 3-6, 6-0
5. Mikele Irazusta (MD) def. Christy Sipes (NCSU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
6. Nicole Martinez (NCSU) def. Jordan Hansbrough (MD) 6-2, 6-0
1. Joelle Kissell/Ashley Miller (NCSU) def. #15 Ana Belzunce/Welma Luus (MD) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Cristina Stancu/Vroni Van Berlo (MD) def. Tatiana Illova/Nicole Martinez (NCSU) 9-8 (8-6)
3. Elisha Hande/Chloe Smith (NCSU) def. Jordan Hansbrough/Mikele Irazusta (MD) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (6,4,2,5,1,3)
- Terps -