April 19, 2012
CARY, N.C. - The Maryland women's tennis team lost to No. 25 Georgia Tech, 4-0, Thursday afternoon in the opening round of the ACC Championships at Cary Tennis Park. The Yellow Jackets won the doubles point and the first three singles matches of the afternoon to seal the win.
Georgia Tech secured the doubles point with wins at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. Senior Jordan Hansbrough and freshman Mikele Irazusta lost at No. 3 to the Yellow Jackets' Viet Ha Ngo and Murial Wacker, while at No. 2, junior Vroni Van Berlo and sophomore Cristina Stancu lost to Lynn Blau and Elizabeth Kilborn.
The Yellow Jackets carried the momentum into singles and won the first three matches. At No. 6, Hansbrough fell to Blau in straight sets to put Georgia Tech up by two.
At No. 1, 14th-ranked Jillian O'Neill defeated 26th-ranked Stancu in straight sets and Kilborn knocked off Van Berlo on the third court to clinch the victory.
#25 Georgia Tech 4, Maryland 0
1. #14 Jillian O'Neill (GT) def. #26 Cristina Stancu (MD) 6-1, 6-1
2. Caroline Lilley (GT) vs. Ana Belzunce (MD) 0-6, 4-2, unfinished
3. Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) 6-1, 6-1
4. Alex Anghelescu (GT) vs. Welma Luus (MD) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
5. Jasmine Minor (GT) vs. Mikele Irazusta (MD) 5-6, unfinished
6. Lynn Blau (GT) def. Jordan Hansbrough (MD) 6-0, 6-1
1. #16 Jillian O'Neill/Alex Anghelescu (GT) vs. #20 Ana Belzunce/Welma Luus (MD) 5-3, unfinished
2. Lynn Blau/Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Cristina Stancu/Vroni Van Berlo (MD) 8-2
3. Viet Ha Ngo/Murial Wacker (GT) def. Mikele Irazusta/Jordan Hansbrough (MD) 8-1
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,1,3)