March 11, 2012
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - No. 42 USF won doubles and 5 of 6 singles matches to defeat the 70th-ranked Maryland women's tennis team, 6-1, Sunday afternoon at the Tennis Center at College Park.
Junior Vroni Van Berlo turned in a standout performance for the Terps with victories at doubles and singles.
Sophomore Cristina Stancu and Van Berlo started the match out strong beating Lucie Rey and Paula Montoya, 8-1, at No. 2 doubles for their sixth consecutive win.
In a back and forth match, freshman Mikele Irazusta and senior Jordan Hansbrough fell, 9-7, to Danielle Mills and Fanny Fracassi.
In singles, Van Berlo continued her strong play from doubles defeating Mills in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 4.
No. 36 Stancu and Belzunce each lost their first match in their last six outings. Stancu lost a hard-fought three-set match to 43rd-ranked Ecaterina Vasenina at No. 1 singles, while Belzunce fell in straight sets to Loreto Alonso at No. 2.
After winning the opening set, Irazusta dropped the next two sets to Montoya at the No. 5 position.
At the No. 6 spot, Hansbrough enjoyed an early 3-0 lead in the first set before falling, 6-4, and losing the second set, 6-4, to Alessandra Bonte.
Luus lost a second-set tiebreaker to Fracassi and dropped the match 6-4, 7-6, at No. 3 singles.
The Terps return to ACC action at Virginia on Saturday, March 17 at noon.
#42 South Florida 6, #70 Maryland 1
1. #43 Ecaterina Vasenina (USF) def. #36 Cristina Stancu (MD) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
2. Loreto Alonso (USF) def. Ana Belzunce (MD) 6-3, 6-3
3. Fanny Fracassi (USF) def. Welma Luus (MD) 6-4, 7-6
4. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) def. Danielle Mills (USF) 6-4, 6-2
5. Paula Montoya (USF) def. Mikele Irazusta (MD) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
6. Alessandra Bonte (USF) def. Jordan Hansbrough (MD) 6-4, 6-4*
1. Ecaterina Vasenina/Loreto Alonso (USF) def. #25 Ana Belzunce/Welma Luus (MD) 8-5
2. Cristina Stancu/Vroni Van Berlo (MD) def. Lucie Rey/Paula Montoya (USF) 8-1
3. Danielle Mills/Fanny Fracassi (USF) def. Mikele Irazusta/Jordan Hansbrough (MD) 9-7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,2,5,6*,3,1)
- Terps -