March 25, 2012
COLLEGE PARK, Md. - The Maryland women's tennis team's 20th-ranked tandem of junior Ana Belzunce and sophomore Welma Luus earned their seventh victory of the year over a ranked foe, but the No. 22 Clemson Tigers outlasted the No. 73 Terps, 5-2, Sunday afternoon at the Tennis Center at College Park.
Belzunce and Luus helped the Terps (6-9, 0-5 ACC) claim the first point of the afternoon. The Terrapin duo dispatched of No. 17 Josipa Bek and Keri Wong, 8-6, after the Tigers won the first match of the afternoon at No. 3 doubles.
Stancu carried the momentum into singles action. The 41st-ranked singles player cruised past Bek in straight sets, 6-1, 6-1, at No. 1 singles to increase the Terps lead to two.
However, the Tigers trio of ranked players were too much for the Terps as No. 47 Wong defeated Belzunce at the No. 2 position, 103rd-ranked Klara Vyskocilova knocked off Van Berlo at No. 3, and 112th-ranked Nelly Ciolkowski beat Luus at No. 4.
Clemson's Romy Kolzer clinched the match with a 6-1, 6-1, victory over senior Jordan Hansbrough at the No. 6 spot.
The Terps are on the road next weekend and open the trip at No. 40 Florida State on Friday, March 30 at 3:30 p.m.
#22 Clemson 5, #73 Maryland 2
1. #41 Cristina Stancu (MD) def. Josipa Bek (CU) 6-1, 6-1
2. #47 Keri Wong (CU) def. Ana Belzunce (MD) 6-3, 6-1
3. #103 Klara Vyskocilova (CU) def. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (11-9)
4. #112 Nelly Ciolkowski (CU) def. Welma Luus (MD) 6-3, 6-3
5. Beatrice Gumulya (CU) def. Mikele Irazusta (MD) 6-3, 6-2
6. Romy Kolzer (CU) def. Jordan Hansbrough (MD) 6-1, 6-1
1. #20 Ana Belzunce/Welma Luus (MD) def. #17 Josipa Bek/Keri Wong (CU) 8-6
2. Cristina Stancu/Vroni Van Berlo (MD) def. Beatrice Gumulya/Romy Kolzer (CU) 9-8 (7-4)
3. Monika Kochanova/Klara Vyskocilova (CU) def. Jordan Hansbrough/Mikele Irazusta (MD) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,4,5,2,6,3)
- Terps -