March 16, 2003
WILLIAMSBURG, Va. - The University of Maryland women's tennis team, ranked No. 63 in the country, lost to ninth-ranked William and Mary Sunday, 6-1, at the McCormack-Nagelsen Tennis Center. The Terps go to 8-4 with the loss.
The Tribe's 15th-ranked duo of sophomores Kate Boomershine and Candice Fuchs clinched the doubles point, defeating Ramona But (Timisoara, Romania) and Emily Marker (Ann Arbor, Mich.), 8-3. At No. 2, sophomore Amy Wei and rookie Megan Muth won, 8-4, over Jennifer Dent (Safety Harbor, Fla.) and Marta Jedrzejak (Sieradz, Poland).
Maryland avoided the shutout in singles action with a win in the third match. Jedrzejak beat William and Mary's Kate Boomershine, 6-4, 6-2.
The Terps return to action on March 25 when they open their ACC schedule on the road against Florida State. That match is scheduled to begin at 5 p.m.
#9 William and Mary 6, #63 Maryland 1
1. #26 Candice Fuchs (W&M) d. Ramona But (MD); 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (7)
2. #82 Megan Muth (W&M) d. Emily Marker (MD); 7-6, 6-4
3. Marta Jedrzejak (MD) d. Kate Boomershine; 6-4, 6-2
4. Nina Kamp (W&M) d. Andreea Fusea (MD); 6-1, 6-3
5. #114 Amy Wei (W&M) d. Jennifer Dent (MD); 6-4, 6-2
6. Lena Sherbakov (W&M) d. Chloe Chavardes (MD); 6-1, 6-2
1. #15 Boomershine/Fuchs (W&M) d. But/Marker (MD); 8-3
2. Muth/Wei (W&M) d. Dent/Jedrzejak (MD); 8-4
3. Kari Olsen/Lingda Yang (W&M) d. Chavardes/Fusea (MD); 8-2