March 30, 2012
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Sophomore Cristina Stancu won her 11th singles match of the spring and paired with junior Vroni Van Berlo in a doubles victory, but the 37th-ranked Florida State Seminoles defeated the 69th-ranked Maryland women's tennis team, 6-1, Friday afternoon at Scott Speicher Tennis Center.
Stancu began her afternoon with a doubles win. After the Seminoles picked up a victory at No. 3 doubles, Stancu and Van Berlo kept the Terps (6-10, 0-6 ACC) in play for the team point with an 8-6 defeat of Leyla Erkan and Amy Sargeant. It is the tandem's fifth win in their last seven matches at No. 2. But Florida State would earn the first point of the match with a victory at No. 1 doubles.
After getting the best of Erkan in doubles action, 31st-ranked Stancu bested Erkan in singles as well. Stancu cruised past Erkan in straight sets. The Romanian took the first set 6-0 and won the second set 6-2 to shrink the deficit to two.
Van Berlo fell to Ruth Seaborne at No. 3 singles to clinch the win for the Seminoles.
The Terps return to the court Sunday when they face No. 5 Miami in Coral Gables at noon.
No. 37 Florida State 6, No. 69 Maryland 1
1. #31 Cristina Stancu (MD) def. Leyla Erkan (FSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Mia Vriens (FSU) def. Ana Belzunce (MD) 7-6, 6-4
3. Ruth Seaborne (FSU) def. Vroni Van Berlo (MD) 6-0, 6-2
4. Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. Welma Luus (MD) 6-4, 6-2
5. Carolina De Santos (FSU) def. Mikele Irazusta (MD) 6-3, 6-2
6. Amy Sargeant (FSU) def. Jordan Hansbrough (MD) 6-2, 6-4
1. Francesca Segarelli/Ruth Seaborne (FSU) def. Welma Luus/Ana Belzunce (MD) 9-8 (7-4)
2. Cristina Stancu/Vroni Van Berlo (MD) def. Leyla Erkan/Amy Sargeant (FSU) 8-6
3. Carolina De Santos/Mia Vriens (FSU) def. Jordan Hansbrough/Mikele Irazusta (MD) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,5,1,3,4,2)
- Terps -